KPA500

Jim Sheldon
Dang it, I just had to go against my principles and set up for QRO operation.  Ordered a KPA500 to complete the K-Line station.  There have been times when even 100 watts was marginal on RTTY and I really like that mode.  Never had an amp that would stand up to the rigors of RTTY rag chewing before, so it will be nice to be able to punch a button and compensate for marginal conditions.  Especially when working some of my old friends overseas.

Wife got her new kitchen and bathroom and asked me what I wanted for myself.  Told her either a KX3 (not available yet) or the KPA500 which was much more expensive.  She grabbed the keyboard on my computer, hit the Elecraft website and looked it up.  Said, "Order it!", so I did, along with the Aux cable to allow me to use my external FSK interface and still have the KPA500 talk to the K3.  Never had a full QSK amp before either, so this one will be really nice.

Jim - W0EB

Re: KPA500

Jim Sheldon
David knows me too well - LOL.   He brought his QRP K2, a 6 & 2 meter transverter and a large handful of Elecraft's mini-modules to the Kansas State ARRL convention and helped N3ARU and I put on a super demo with a pair of K3's plus the K2 on real antennas and operating on the same band (in different modes) without interference.  Sure got the attention of a bunch of people.

I actually have another ham (that has an Alpha 9500 amp) that's also a CW contester, living within 5 blocks of me and as I've said before, prior to the K3 I was unable to operate the same band he was on in a contest without using all the attenuator whatever rig I had at the time had in it.  Now, I don't even know he's on unless I roll across him in searching the band.

His rig is a Yaesu FT-1000D and I suspect when I crank up the KPA500, he's going to notice I'm on anywhere in the CW portion of a band.  The FT-1000 has some sort of roofing filter, but I have no experience with it so don't know how effective it really is compared to the K3.

Jim - W0EB

> Somebody check is temperature QUICK!  I think he has a fever!!
>
> Jim, I suspect you'll enjoy the amp.  Just having a full K-line
> sitting there will be nice.
>
> David
>
> On 9/17/2011 9:03 AM, Jim Sheldon wrote:
>> Dang it, I just had to go against my principles and set up for
>> QRO operation.  Ordered a KPA500 to complete the K-Line station.
>> There have been times when even 100 watts was marginal on RTTY
>> and I really like that mode.  Never had an amp that would stand
>> up to the rigors of RTTY rag chewing before, so it will be nice
>> to be able to punch a button and compensate for marginal
>> conditions.  Especially when working some of my old friends
>> overseas.
>>
>> Wife got her new kitchen and bathroom and asked me what I wanted
>> for myself.  Told her either a KX3 (not available yet) or the
>> KPA500 which was much more expensive.  She grabbed the keyboard
>> on my computer, hit the Elecraft website and looked it up.  Said,
>> "Order it!", so I did, along with the Aux cable to allow me to
>> use my external FSK interface and still have the KPA500 talk to
>> the K3.  Never had a full QSK amp before either, so this one will
>> be really nice.
>>
>> Jim - W0EB

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list:
>> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>

>> -----
>> No virus found in this message.
>> 09/16/11
>>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> 09/16/11

KPA500

Johnny Siu
Without a single intention to bad month FT1000D,  I must say that this ex-Yaesu flag ship is of older technology.  Modern radio including K3 has a much quieter synthesiser.  Roofing filters and IF DSP were something uncommon in the era of FT1000D.

Back to KPA500, its IMD shown in the FCC submission is not worse than any of the solid state amplifiers tested in product reviews of ARRL.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

從︰ Jim Sheldon <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ David Heinsohn <[hidden email]>
副本(CC)︰ Elecraft Mailing List <[hidden email]>
傳送日期︰ 2011年09月17日 (週六) 10:47 PM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] KPA500