KPA500

kd1na
Greetings everyone,

Friday. evening the friendly UPS driver was at my door with a 33 pound package and waiting for a signature. I unpacked the KPA-500 kit and inventoried the parts. Boy the main power transformer looks strange. Well last night I finished the assembly and after plugging in the power cord and saying a little prayer to the component Gods I turned it on. WOW it worked!!.  Seriously, the kit went together well. There was one small problem. The small gray high voltage wire that snakes through the hole in the Zee bracket snapped off the power supply circuit board. It appeared that the conductor portion of the wire was nicked during stripping. I resoldered the wire back in place and continued building. (Who says these are no soldering kits :-). Finding hardware seemed to be somewhat confusing in the way they were bagged but everything was there. The two biggest challenges in building the KPA-500 was installing the rear panel and getting the main power transformer properly mounted. Thank
 s to lots of pictures in the manual I got it finished.

Hooking it up to my K3 was easy but the control cable I purchased was a bit too short by 6 inches for the station configuration. I simply added the split cable and problem solved. (Would suggest adding between 6 inches to a foot to the cable). My linear is configured for 220 volts operation and operates very smoothly and quietly. Reports were good and it is nice to have the K3 configure it's driving power to match the linear's need. As usual Elecraft, you did it again, congratulations!

During the time I was testing the linear Saturday evening there was a loud crash on the roof of the house. seems the heavy snow took out a tree limb and it bounced off the roof on it's way down.  No damage but there was lots of power outages and tree damage here.

73
Dave KD1NA