KPA500

w7aqk
Jim and all,

At 5 watts input, I get something just "north" of 75 watts out of the
KPA500.  At 7 watts input, I get 100 watts out from the KPA500.  That's not
a "precise" measurement, but hopefully close enough.  That was on 40 meters,
by the way.  In any event, without doing the math, that seems pretty close
to the 15 DB gain figure I think they were shooting for.  I know that about
28 watts input from the K3 just "tickles" the 500 watt output LED on the
KPA500.  That's about where I run it when using the amp.

Looking ahead, at the KX3, 10 watts generates about 150 watts, and 12 watts
gets nearly 175 watts.

Dave W7AQK

Re: KPA500

Jim Brown-10
On 1/15/2012 6:56 AM, Dyarnes wrote:
>   that seems pretty close to the 15dB
> gain figure I think they were shooting for.

The maximum power gain of a commercially built ham amplifier is mandated
by FCC Rules. I don't recall the number, but 15dB sounds close.

> I know that about 28 watts input from the K3 just "tickles" the 500 watt output LED on the KPA500.  That's about where I run it when using the amp.

Yes, my K3 indicates 28-29W when I'm driving my KPA500 to full
power,typically about 600W, which is pretty close to 15dB.

73, Jim K9YC