KRC2 trouble shooting

Kazunori Watanabe
Hello,

I just completed KRC2, initial test in page 15 of manual was successful.
Now completed final assembly and connect to K3 using AuxBus, turn
on 12V, LED does not turn on, K3 does not recognise KRC2.
Later I realised I should connect GND on pin 5 of K3 side, instead of
pin 6, which "KCR2" Manual Errata Rev C-2 Feb 11, 2009 instructed
me to do so.
Is there any possibility I damaged KRC2 because of this error?
After disconnect all cable and put 12V, still no LED light and no output.

73 de Kazu  JK3GAD/M0CFW

Re: KRC2 trouble shooting

Brett Howard
>From what I read in the K3 manual pin 6 is DIGOUT0 which the manual
states will be 0V when you select TRN or HF-TRN and are in low power
mode.  At all other times that pin is Hi-Z.  So no connecting to that
pin would not have broken anything in your KRC2.

Looks like the only LED in the system is micro-controller controlled
so a lot of things could make that not come on.

Lets start with the easy stuff is there +5V on pin 3 of U3?
If you have a scope look at pins 13 and 14 of U1 and see if you have 4Mhz there.

I've never used (or even seen a KRC2) so I'm kinda flying blind...
Are you sure that however you're powering it has the polarity right?
Sorry for asking the stupid questions but sometimes they help.  I do
this stuff a lot and you have no idea how many times my wife asking
the question of do you have it plugged in has fixed my problems! ;)

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Kazunori Watanabe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just completed KRC2, initial test in page 15 of manual was successful.
> Now completed final assembly and connect to K3 using AuxBus, turn
> on 12V, LED does not turn on, K3 does not recognise KRC2.
> Later I realised I should connect GND on pin 5 of K3 side, instead of
> pin 6, which "KCR2" Manual Errata Rev C-2 Feb 11, 2009 instructed
> me to do so.
> Is there any possibility I damaged KRC2 because of this error?
> After disconnect all cable and put 12V, still no LED light and no output.
>
> 73 de Kazu  JK3GAD/M0CFW

Re: KRC2 trouble shooting

Kazu,

Try re-doing the tests on page 15 of the KRC2 manual.  If those tests
are not successful, try loading the KRC2 firmware (download available
from the Elecraft website).  You would need the KRC2 Download Program
loaded onto your PC and the actual firmware file to be loaded from the
PC - KRC2 Firmware 1.5.

If the firmware load fails, then you need to look for the problem in the
KRC2.  The usual advice of "Check soldering, then re-check the
soldering, and when that is finished, check the soldering" applies.  It
may be that the firmware chip itself has failed, but hold on that
conclusion until you have tried the soldering check and attempted
another frimware download.

If all of the above fails, then you may have damaged outputs on the
firmware chip itself and you will have to order a new chip.

Kazunori Watanabe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just completed KRC2, initial test in page 15 of manual was successful.
> Now completed final assembly and connect to K3 using AuxBus, turn
> on 12V, LED does not turn on, K3 does not recognise KRC2.
> Later I realised I should connect GND on pin 5 of K3 side, instead of
> pin 6, which "KCR2" Manual Errata Rev C-2 Feb 11, 2009 instructed
> me to do so.
> Is there any possibility I damaged KRC2 because of this error?
> After disconnect all cable and put 12V, still no LED light and no output.
>
> 73 de Kazu  JK3GAD/M0CFW

Re: KRC2 trouble shooting

Jack Brindle
It appears that the MCU is not getting power. Go back and recheck your solder joints - something is definitely amiss. Go through the voltage check table to make sure the voltages on the important pins (usually the power pins) are correct.

Note that you probably will not be able to load software into the MCU at this time. The LED is a very simple indication that the MCU is active and will be illuminated if anything is working. Since it is dark, nothing is. Thus the suggestion to recheck the voltages. I suspect the voltage regulator or something else on the power rail.

Jack Brindle, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering

On Mar 16, 2010, at 5:09 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Kazu,
>
> Try re-doing the tests on page 15 of the KRC2 manual.  If those tests
> are not successful, try loading the KRC2 firmware (download available
> from the Elecraft website).  You would need the KRC2 Download Program
> loaded onto your PC and the actual firmware file to be loaded from the
> PC - KRC2 Firmware 1.5.
>
> If the firmware load fails, then you need to look for the problem in the
> KRC2.  The usual advice of "Check soldering, then re-check the
> soldering, and when that is finished, check the soldering" applies.  It
> may be that the firmware chip itself has failed, but hold on that
> conclusion until you have tried the soldering check and attempted
> another frimware download.
>
> If all of the above fails, then you may have damaged outputs on the
> firmware chip itself and you will have to order a new chip.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Kazunori Watanabe wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just completed KRC2, initial test in page 15 of manual was successful.
>> Now completed final assembly and connect to K3 using AuxBus, turn
>> on 12V, LED does not turn on, K3 does not recognise KRC2.
>> Later I realised I should connect GND on pin 5 of K3 side, instead of
>> pin 6, which "KCR2" Manual Errata Rev C-2 Feb 11, 2009 instructed
>> me to do so.
>> Is there any possibility I damaged KRC2 because of this error?
>> After disconnect all cable and put 12V, still no LED light and no output.
>>
>> 73 de Kazu  JK3GAD/M0CFW

Re: KRC2 trouble shooting

Kazunori Watanabe

Thanks for everyone for suggestion.
Here is some update.
1) Power polarity is right. :-)
2) LED is still off and no output, so page 15 test failed this time.
3) Checked soldering. Seems ok.
4) Try to connect to PC through firmware download software and configuration utility.
However software cannot recognise. Well, so no LED means KRC2 is dead.....
5) Checking voltage of U1. Not a surprise Pin 9 and 10 are 0v as these are source of voltage of LED.
Compare to page 28 chart, most of pin's voltage are ok EXCEPT,
P3 0
P6 0
P8-10 0
P17 0
P27 0
P29 0

Wish I can fix it before RDXC!

73 de Kazu  JK3GAD/M0CFW

> Hello,
> I just completed KRC2, initial test in page 15 of manual was successful. Now completed final assembly and connect to K3 using AuxBus, turn on 12V, LED does not turn on, K3 does not recognise KRC2. Later I realised I should connect GND on pin 5 of K3 side, instead of pin 6, which "KCR2" Manual Errata Rev C-2 Feb 11, 2009 instructed me to do so. Is there any possibility I damaged KRC2 because of this error? After disconnect all cable and put 12V, still no LED light and no output.
> 73 de Kazu  JK3GAD/M0CFW

Re: KRC2 trouble shooting

Don Wilhelm-4
Kazu,

Is there any chance that you can beg or borrow an oscilloscope to probe
U1 pins 13 and 14 to see if there is any 4 MHz oscillation?
If it is oscillating, my guess is that you have a damaged input or
output pin on the firmware chip.
If it is not oscillating, then either the firmware chip is bad or the
crystal is bad (or both).  If you are ordering replacements from
Elecraft, get both just in case.

Kazunori Watanabe wrote:

> Thanks for everyone for suggestion.
> Here is some update.
> 1) Power polarity is right. :-)
> 2) LED is still off and no output, so page 15 test failed this time.
> 3) Checked soldering. Seems ok.
> 4) Try to connect to PC through firmware download software and configuration utility.
> However software cannot recognise. Well, so no LED means KRC2 is dead.....
> 5) Checking voltage of U1. Not a surprise Pin 9 and 10 are 0v as these are source of voltage of LED.
> Compare to page 28 chart, most of pin's voltage are ok EXCEPT,
> P3 0
> P6 0
> P8-10 0
> P17 0
> P27 0
> P29 0
>
> Wish I can fix it before RDXC!
>
> 73 de Kazu  JK3GAD/M0CFW

Re: KRC2 trouble shooting

Kazunori Watanabe
Hi Don,

Thanks for suggestion. I do not have oscilloscope but I can hear 4 MHz from K3 by putting KRC2 board closer to K3 and
confirm it is from KRC2 by on/off 12v to KRC2.
If chip was damaged, as I am using anti static mat, how chip was damaged is mystery....

73 Kazu

On 17 Mar 2010, at 14:30, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Kazu,
>
> Is there any chance that you can beg or borrow an oscilloscope to probe U1 pins 13 and 14 to see if there is any 4 MHz oscillation?
> If it is oscillating, my guess is that you have a damaged input or output pin on the firmware chip.
> If it is not oscillating, then either the firmware chip is bad or the crystal is bad (or both).  If you are ordering replacements from Elecraft, get both just in case.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Kazunori Watanabe wrote:
>> Thanks for everyone for suggestion. Here is some update. 1) Power polarity is right. :-)
>> 2) LED is still off and no output, so page 15 test failed this time. 3) Checked soldering. Seems ok. 4) Try to connect to PC through firmware download software and configuration utility. However software cannot recognise. Well, so no LED means KRC2 is dead.....
>> 5) Checking voltage of U1. Not a surprise Pin 9 and 10 are 0v as these are source of voltage of LED. Compare to page 28 chart, most of pin's voltage are ok EXCEPT, P3 0
>> P6 0
>> P8-10 0
>> P17 0
>> P27 0
>> P29 0
>>
>> Wish I can fix it before RDXC!
>>
>> 73 de Kazu  JK3GAD/M0CFW

Re: KRC2 trouble shooting

Don Wilhelm-4
Kazu,

I am not certain how it could have been damaged either, but the fact
remains that you either have a soldering problem  somewhere or you have
a damaged firmware chip.  Since it did work at one time and quit working
after you made an  connection error (even though I cannot determine how
that error would have done any damage), I vote for the firmware chip,
but I would try re-flowing all the soldering with a hot soldering iron
(400 deg C) first. Add a bit of flux and be certain the solder has
flowed out onto all the solder pads. Soldering is the most common
problem encountered by builders.