KRC2 with K3, KPA500 and MH MKII keyer

w0mu
KRC2 built.

It appears there are a couple of ways to wire the KRC2 with the K3.  I
have the KPA500 and am using the Aux bus so I think I should use the aux
bus.  The KRC2 will be used to drive an ICE 419 Bandpass filter unit.

I would appear that all I need to do is connect pin 6 on the KRC2 to pin
2 on the 15 pin connector and pin1  to pin 5.

Why would one want to hook up using serial ports with or without logging?

The entire setup will consist of a Microham MKII keyer or MK2R+ , K3,
KPA500 and KRC2.  It would appear that I would need another 15 pin
splitter to run the MKII, KPA500 and KRC2 all on the the Aux Bus.  I
assume that the splitter that Electraft provided is 15 pins straight
through?

Mike W0MU

Re: KRC2 with K3, KPA500 and MH MKII keyer

w0mu
Correct on the Aux bus.....However the Auxbus is accessed via the 15 pin
Acc connector in the back, which the KPA500 and KRC2 all want access to.

On 9/1/2011 1:09 PM, Jack Brindle wrote:

> Mike;
>
> The best way for your use is to use the Auxbus connection. I have
> tested it extensively while developing the KPA500 firmware and have
> seen no problems with KRC2 operation with the K3 and KPA500.
>
> Your Aux cable needs to connect the Auxbus at all three pieces of
> equipment. I have a diagram I can send you that shows the connections
> in the cable I fabricated for my station. Look for that later this
> evening.
>
> One thing of note - the MKII does not connect to the Auxbus. Only
> Elecraft equipment uses that communications method.
>
> And, if I can find the time over the next few days, you will see a new
> version of KRC2 firmware (V1.6) released next week. I am way too busy
> these days...
>
> Jack Brindle, W6FB
> Elecraft Engineering
>
> On Aug 31, 2011, at 7:28 PM, Mike Fatchett W0MU wrote:
>
>> KRC2 built.
>>
>> It appears there are a couple of ways to wire the KRC2 with the K3.  I
>> have the KPA500 and am using the Aux bus so I think I should use the aux
>> bus.  The KRC2 will be used to drive an ICE 419 Bandpass filter unit.
>>
>> I would appear that all I need to do is connect pin 6 on the KRC2 to pin
>> 2 on the 15 pin connector and pin1  to pin 5.
>>
>> Why would one want to hook up using serial ports with or without
>> logging?
>>
>> The entire setup will consist of a Microham MKII keyer or MK2R+ , K3,
>> KPA500 and KRC2.  It would appear that I would need another 15 pin
>> splitter to run the MKII, KPA500 and KRC2 all on the the Aux Bus.  I
>> assume that the splitter that Electraft provided is 15 pins straight
>> through?
>>
>> Mike W0MU

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KRC2 with K3, KPA500 and MH MKII keyer

Don Wilhelm-4
Mike,

I don't understand the problem with Jack's solution.  The AUXBUS signal
can be daisy-chained to the various units that need it.  The 15 pin Y
cable provided by Elecraft will provide the capability to daisy-chain
the signals needed.  For an example of similar connections, look at
Figure 7 in the XV Transverter Owner''s manual.  The K2 box would be
replaced by the K3 (with the Y cable attached), and the KAT100 in the
diagram would be replaced by your KPA500.  The PC connection is not on
the K3 ACC cable, but a separate RS-232 cable.
The KRC2 uses the same signals from the K3 as the XV transverters.

Apparently Jack has fabricated his own cable, and if true, he likely did
not use the Y cable, but wired directly to the connectors.  Wait until
Jack sends his cable diagram and then make your decision on how to wire
the cable(s)

On 9/1/2011 3:27 PM, Mike Fatchett W0MU wrote:

> Correct on the Aux bus.....However the Auxbus is accessed via the 15 pin
> Acc connector in the back, which the KPA500 and KRC2 all want access to.
>
> On 9/1/2011 1:09 PM, Jack Brindle wrote:
>> Mike;
>>
>> The best way for your use is to use the Auxbus connection. I have
>> tested it extensively while developing the KPA500 firmware and have
>> seen no problems with KRC2 operation with the K3 and KPA500.
>>
>> Your Aux cable needs to connect the Auxbus at all three pieces of
>> equipment. I have a diagram I can send you that shows the connections
>> in the cable I fabricated for my station. Look for that later this
>> evening.
>>
>> One thing of note - the MKII does not connect to the Auxbus. Only
>> Elecraft equipment uses that communications method.
>>
>> And, if I can find the time over the next few days, you will see a new
>> version of KRC2 firmware (V1.6) released next week. I am way too busy
>> these days...
>>
>> Jack Brindle, W6FB
>> Elecraft Engineering

Re: KRC2 with K3, KPA500 and MH MKII keyer

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Mike,

The simple solution is two of the Elecraft DB15 "Y" cables.  However,
microHAM only uses pins 1, 4, & 5 (FSK, PTT & ground) and provides a
"pigtail" for the Inhibit input if you need it (not likely with the
KPA-500).  It would certainly be practical to make a custom "Y" cable
to connect pins 2 & 5 (Aux bus/Ground) to pins 6 & 5 of the KRC-2 XCVR
jack and and pins 1,4, & 5 to the microHAM cable.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV