KSB2 Question

Jeff Hetherington-2
Hello Everybody.

I've begun to look at my KSB2 kit.  The parts are inventoried and the board
is in the vise ...

My question is regarding the current Rev. F. as compared to my Rev. D.  I
noticed that some component values are different, but the board layout looks
the same.  I assume that the values have been optimized.

Is this an accurate assessment?  Can I simply change the values to the Rev F
values?  Should I just stick with the Rev D values that originally came in
my kit?

My firmware is Ver 1.04.

Thanks for the help.
73/72
  Jeff - VA3JFF
  K2 #3375
  KX1 #631
  Canadian QRP Award:  http://www3.sympatico.ca/wjhetherington/cqa.htm

Re: KSB2 Question

Don Nesbitt
Off List Reply Follows - copied to the reflector

Hi Jeff.  I don't have the schematics in front of me but some of the crystal
filter capacitors were changed in the later revisions to widen the response
from about 2.1 KC (actually measured about 1.9 at 6 dB down points on mine)
to about 2.4 KC.  These caps are a part of the xtal lattice filter and are
identified on the schematic as  CA, CB, etc.

The old "standard" was the approximate 2.1 kc width and the new "standard"
is the 2.4 kc width (maybe it was 2.3 - something like that).

As I recall, a couple of other changes were made - a couple of resistors and
an electrolytic capacitor - and additionally, enhanced xtals were available
and still are as "matched" sets.

Just my 2 cents but I'd change the xtal lattice caps to the "new" values now
during initial construction.  Removing those caps is a real pain later -
this from experience as I've done it a total of 3 times to get various
widths.  All in all, the 2.4 width is very nice!  As for the matched xtal
set, I did change out mine and noticed no difference at all.  Others have
reported that it did make a big difference.  Hope that helps - 73 es have
fun --Don N4HH K2/100/KAT100 #2028, etc, etc