KX-1 and the BL2, a winning combo...

Peter N. Spotts-3
This may be coals to Newcastle for many on the list, but I did some
crude experimenting with my KX-1 and the Norcal Doublet antenna
yesterday out on the back deck. I was bopping back and forth between no
ATU and a ZM-2 tuner and the ATU + BL2 combination.

Based SWR readings from the KX-1, the ZM-2 could give me somewhere on
the order of 1.5:1 to 2:1 on 40 and 20 meters. Using the ATU and BL2
instead, I  got 1:1 on 20 (with the switch at 4:1) and 1.2:1 on 40 (with
the switch at 1:1). As a practical matter, those differences may not
mean much in the overall scheme of things. But I got a kick out of the
improvement.

I realize the tuner was designed with random wires in mind, but I was
pleased to see how well it worked with the balun and the doublet. Now to
try a version of the doublet for 80-10 rather than just 40-10.

Thanks for a great line of products!

With best regards,

Pete

P.S. Oh, yes, I *was* making contacts with each...

--
Peter N. Spotts -- W1PNS
http://www.w1pns.net