KX1 #1396

Jude Miller
Just purchased a KX1 with a serial number of 1396. (BTW - I want to
buy a few more used units!)

Should anything be upgraded on the KX1 since it's original build? The
power output is lower than advertised. I've been going through the
list messages as time permits and are finding bits of info.

One additional question:  what is required to allow the KX1 to tranmit
out of the Amateur freq. range? Would love to have access to addition
frequencies in the event of an emergency.

Best Regards,

G. Jude Miller KB5FSG, C9A1

Technology Strategist
Lake Arthur, LA USA
(504) 701-1122 Cell
[hidden email]

Re: KX1 #1396

Don Wilhelm-4
Jude,

No upgrades are necessary, and the only mod kit available from Elecraft
is the KX1PWRMODKT.  If that KX1 has the KXB3080 option installed, the
power mod may have already been installed (the KXB3080 kit also contains
the KX1PWRMODKT) - download the instructions for the power mod kit and
look at the values of the 2 resistors that are changed with the mod.

The KX1 power output is highly dependent on the power supply voltage,
and typical is between 3.5 and 4 watts with a 13.8 volt power source.

The transmit frequency is limited to the ham bands by the firmware.  You
would have to convince Wayne of the need to make a change to the KX1
firmware.