KX1 #2374 On the air.

k6tt
After thinking about if for almost a year, and recently playing with one again at the Visalia IDXC, I bought a KX1, with the tuner and 30/80 option.

I received the box Friday morning and made the first QSO tonight. Took me about 15 hours of work to build the basic KX1 (#2374), I still need to assemble the tuner & 30/80 but the basic radio worked perfected after I completed it.

I was very impressed with the loud audio on both 20 & 40... I didn't even have a good antenna attached when I did the initial recv tune up, I just used a piece of scrap wire and I was copying stations 500+ miles away. I was thrilled.

After completing the transmitter, I wired up a hand key and started banging out a CQ with only about 25% power... (1W) and on the third call I had a response from a local. Anyway, don't know enough about the rig to comment on much else yet, but so far I'm extremely happy and now not sure why I waited so long.

73

-phil K6TT

Re: KX1 #2374 On the air.

Gary Slagel
Phil... congrats on the KX1.  I hadn't used kx1 for a long time but last nite was on the deck with a beer after work and got an itch to dig it out.  Grabbed my little kx1 bag which includes a wire, paddle plus pen and paper.  15 minutes after the thought crossed my mind I had a wire thrown in a tree (no counterpoise) and was on the air from my deck chair!  First sig I heard on 30M was a CQ that I answered and had a 25 minute qso from Oregon to South Dakota.  On completion I got a quick call from an 18 wheeler in Ontario for a short qso.

The kx1 is an amazing little machine and you'll really enjoy it!

Gary Slagel/N0SXX
Hot Springs, SD
http://marina.fortunecity.com/sanpedro/351