KX1 ATU?

TAC

KX1 ATU?

TAC
My KX1 (with tuner) tunes great to a random wire or my G5RV but I can't get
better than about 6.1 into my home made Buddie Pole (coax feed). I'm
assuming I need a balun? Maybe like Elecraft mini 1:1 or 4:1 unit.
-TAC, KC8SES

Re: KX1 ATU?

Don Wilhelm-4
Tom,

A Buddie Pole - homemade or otherwise - should tune near resonance on
the selected band with the coil taps.  If it is horizontal, then make
both sides the same.  Check the end of the coax that attaches to the
transceiver with your antenna analyzer - if it is far off resonance, it
may be out of range for the KX1 tuner.

The KX1 tuner is optimized to tune int the no-feeder antenna shown on
page 9 of the KXAT1 manual.  The L/C ranges are limited - Inductance 0
to 4.7 uH in 7 steps and capacitance 0 to 470 in 7 steps.  If an L
network with series L and shunt C within those ranges cannot form a
match then the load is outside the range of the tuner.

I suspect your homemade buddy pole is out of range and a balun will not
change that.  Tune it up with an antenna analyzer and try again.

On 1/7/2012 2:48 PM, Tom Crites wrote:
> My KX1 (with tuner) tunes great to a random wire or my G5RV but I can't get
> better than about 6.1 into my home made Buddie Pole (coax feed). I'm
> assuming I need a balun? Maybe like Elecraft mini 1:1 or 4:1 unit.
> -TAC, KC8SES

TAC

Re: KX1 ATU?

TAC
I'll mess around with it.  My K2 tunes it without any problems so I
thought the KX1 ATU would also.

Thanks,

-TAC

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you tuning the buddipole per the instructions? If so, the KX1 should
> have no trouble with it. Indeed, you might not need  the tuner at all!
>
> Ron AC7AC

Re: KX1 ATU?

Don Wilhelm-4
Tom,

The KAT2 (and KAT100) has 8 inductors and 8 capacitors to choose from -
in 256 steps.  The KXAT1 has only 3 inductors and 3 capacitors - only 7
steps.
That information is available right at the front of the manual in the
Specifications section.  If the desire was for a tuner that would work
as well as the KAT2, then a quick glance at the Specifications would
tell whether it would even come close.  All things Elecraft are not
created equal - things that have to be crammed into small spaces must
provide some limits, and in this particular case it is a significantly
reduced matching range.