{KX1} DX question

stan levandowski

Does anyone know the basis of the "distance" reported under "Details" in
QRZ.com entries?

I recently worked HB9FBG on 500 milliwatts with 6 regular "AA" Eveready
batteries (at least that's what my inline wattmeter said) on a 40 meter
dipole up in my attic.  The distance from me to HB9FBG was reported as
3947.8 miles.  Does anyone know if this represents "GPS miles", a
straight line approximation, miles reported from some table derivation,
miles that represent some approximation of a radio signal's trip up to
the ionosphere and back down...? I'm no math genius when it comes to
trig but it seems that there could be quite a mileage distance.  Also,
the ".8" in QRZ.com's mileage suggests some technology is at work!

Stan WB2LQF
"HF-QRP-CW  - Doing more with less for over 50 years now!"

Re: {KX1} DX question

k6dgw
stan levandowski wrote:

> Does anyone know the basis of the "distance" reported under "Details" in
> QRZ.com entries?
>
> I recently worked HB9FBG on 500 milliwatts with 6 regular "AA" Eveready
> batteries (at least that's what my inline wattmeter said) on a 40 meter
> dipole up in my attic.  The distance from me to HB9FBG was reported as
> 3947.8 miles.  Does anyone know if this represents "GPS miles", a
> straight line approximation, miles reported from some table derivation,
> miles that represent some approximation of a radio signal's trip up to
> the ionosphere and back down...? I'm no math genius when it comes to
> trig but it seems that there could be quite a mileage distance.  Also,
> the ".8" in QRZ.com's mileage suggests some technology is at work!

I've always assumed it was great circle distance, nothing else makes
much sense when you're communicating half way around an ellipsoid the
size of the planet.  Congrats on 12,709.9902 km/watt!  SFIis up to 82,
A=1, K=0, SSN=54, and EU has been very strong out here on the Western
Frontier.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2010 Cal QSO Party 2-3 Oct 2010
- www.cqp.org