KX1 Hard Case?

WD6DBM
Can anyone recommend a case for the KX1 that would protect it from an impact?  I'm thinking of taking mine X-C skiing, and it would have to take my body weight falling on it repeatedly probably starting in the parking lot.

73 Eric WD6DBM

Re: KX1 Hard Case?

David Pratt
I find that the small aluminium (aluminum) cases that are commonly used
for girls' make-up are very suitable for the KX1. There is a bit of
extra space inside for your ear-pods, quick guide & accessories. The one
I use is 10 x 6.5 x 3.5 inches and is ideal. They can often be picked up
easily secondhand.

In a recent message, Eric <[hidden email]> wrote ...
>Can anyone recommend a case for the KX1 that would protect it from an
>impact?  I'm thinking of taking mine X-C skiing, and it would have to
>take my body weight falling on it repeatedly probably starting in the
>parking lot.

David G4DMP
Leeds, England, UK
------

Re: KX1 Hard Case?

w7aqk
Eric and All,

It's pretty hard to beat Pelican cases, although they can be a bit pricey.
At Pacificon a couple of years back, I picked up a Pelican 1040 case for my
KX1.  There was a vendor there with pretty decent prices comparatively.  The
KX1 fits nicely inside a 1040 case, but there's not much room to spare.
You might want a slightly larger case if you plan to carry extra things
inside.

For skiing, this could be a nearly ideal case.  They don't advertise it as
being "submersible", but it's pretty water tight, so being in a lot of snow
might make this a good choice. Check the Pelican website, and you will see
all sorts of options.

As an alternative, you might snoop around outlet stores like Big Lots.  I've
seen lots of toolkits that come in cases that just might work, and that
would be a cheap alternative if you find one the right size.  It won't be
nearly as sturdy as the Pelican cases, but it might be adequate.  I've got
an old toolkit box (plastic) I use on occasion for my KX1 because it's
somewhat bigger, and I can put extra stuff in it.  I think this was
originally a case for a socket and driver set.

Dave W7AQK