[KX1] KX1 Hard Case--Walking Tall Final Chapter

[KX1] KX1 Hard Case--Walking Tall Final Chapter

WD6DBM
Today I proudly carried my KX1 into the Sunnyvale, CA Fry's Electronics to try out hard cases for my KX1.  Here's the scoop:

Pelican 1040 Micro Case did not fit my KX1.  Someone on this list recommended it, so I'm wondering if Pelican perhaps changed sizes??  Did I get this wrong?

Pelican 1050 Micro Case does fit the KX1, but there is no pluck foam in these series of cases, the KX1 would need to be padded or it will rattle around.  Also, for snow combat I'm not sure the micro cases would take repeated direct hits as they are not as rugged as the traditional Pelican cases.

I settled on the Pelican 1120 case.  It has the pluck foam, is deep enough so that the VFO knob isn't touched when the lid is closed, and features the O-ring seal if I ski into a lake.   $27.99 at Fry's.

For those local, that Fry's had two Audion tubes on display.  I'm guessing a KX1 built with Audions would be the size of a Greyhound Bus and would take a crew of three to operate.  My, my.

73  Eric WD6DBM

Re: [KX1] KX1 Hard Case--Walking Tall Final Chapter

Rick Dettinger-3
> It would also draw about 3 KW on receive.

73,

Rick Dettinger    K7MW

> For those local, that Fry's had two Audion tubes on display.  I'm
> guessing a KX1 built with Audions would be the size of a Greyhound
> Bus and would take a crew of three to operate.  My, my.
>
> 73  Eric WD6DBM

Re: [KX1] KX1 Hard Case--Walking Tall Final Chapter

Jay S
I have the Pelican 1060 case for my KX1.  The radio fits along with a palm
paddle and a few extras (#26 guage wire for antenna/counterpoise, laminated
instruction card and wire for the paddle).

Here is info on the Palm Paddle:
http://www.mtechnologies.com/palm/

Here is the case:
http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1060

The only thing that doesn't fit that I usually use is the Buddipole A123
battery (4S1P):
http://www.buddipole.com/portablepower.html

73
Jay