KX1 - KX1 Zero Beat Mod ??

stan levandowski
Before I purchased my KX1, I recall reading something about a 3rd party
product offering for a zero beat mod.

Predictably, I can't find it in the Elecraft Archives or by Googling
"KX1 modifications".

Any KX1 users out there know anything about this mod?

I was quite successful in the recent CQ WW contest and I think my
ability to sit right on top of the DX with my K2 contributed a great
deal.

I'd like to have the same chance at accurate spotting with my KX1 if
possible.

Any info would be appreciated, especially a URL or a name.

Thanks much!

Stan Levandowski WB2LQF
HF QRP CW -- Doing more with less for over 50 years!
QCWA #35038   OOTC #4558   NAQCC #4740   SKCC #6488   FISTS #14992

Re: KX1 - KX1 Zero Beat Mod ??

Byron N6NUL
Search for "K6XX CW tuning indicator". There is a kit for the K1, KX1, and K2.

http://www.n3epa.org/Pages/K6XX/K6XXCWIndicatorKit.htm

Having received new micro LEDs for my button kit (dang those things
are ity bity), I'll be installing one in my K1 this weekend.

73, Byron N6NUL
K1 #2799

On Friday, December 3, 2010, stan levandowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Before I purchased my KX1, I recall reading something about a 3rd party
> product offering for a zero beat mod.
>
> Predictably, I can't find it in the Elecraft Archives or by Googling
> "KX1 modifications".
>
> Any KX1 users out there know anything about this mod?
>
> I was quite successful in the recent CQ WW contest and I think my
> ability to sit right on top of the DX with my K2 contributed a great
> deal.
>
> I'd like to have the same chance at accurate spotting with my KX1 if
> possible.
>
> Any info would be appreciated, especially a URL or a name.
>
> Thanks much!
>

> Stan Levandowski WB2LQF
> HF QRP CW -- Doing more with less for over 50 years!
> QCWA #35038   OOTC #4558   NAQCC #4740   SKCC #6488   FISTS #14992

- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

Re: KX1 - KX1 Zero Beat Mod ??

stan levandowski
Thanks, Byron -- This is what I remember seeing months ago.  I'll be
ordering one now.

It never dawned on me to search for "CW tuning"  instead of "zero beat"
HI

73,

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Byron Servies wrote:

> Search for "K6XX CW tuning indicator". There is a kit for the K1, KX1,
> and K2.
>
> http://www.n3epa.org/Pages/K6XX/K6XXCWIndicatorKit.htm
>
> Having received new micro LEDs for my button kit (dang those things
> are ity bity), I'll be installing one in my K1 this weekend.
>
> 73, Byron N6NUL
> K1 #2799
>

> On Friday, December 3, 2010, stan levandowski <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Before I purchased my KX1, I recall reading something about a 3rd
>> party
>> product offering for a zero beat mod.
>>
>> Predictably, I can't find it in the Elecraft Archives or by Googling
>> "KX1 modifications".
>>
>> Any KX1 users out there know anything about this mod?
>>
>> I was quite successful in the recent CQ WW contest and I think my
>> ability to sit right on top of the DX with my K2 contributed a great
>> deal.
>>
>> I'd like to have the same chance at accurate spotting with my KX1 if
>> possible.
>>
>> Any info would be appreciated, especially a URL or a name.
>>
>> Thanks much!
>>

>> Stan Levandowski WB2LQF
>> HF QRP CW -- Doing more with less for over 50 years!
>> QCWA #35038   OOTC #4558   NAQCC #4740   SKCC #6488   FISTS #14992
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
> - www.cqp.org

Re: KX1 - KX1 Zero Beat Mod ??

  Stan,

You can thank Tom Hammond N0SS for developing the circuit board and the
initial kits from the initial K6XX design.  Yes, Tom does not take
enough credit for himself, and he put a lot into that mod kit - see his
website at www.noss.net.
The kits are now available from N3EPA  www.n3epa.org.

On 12/3/2010 8:41 PM, stan levandowski wrote:

> Before I purchased my KX1, I recall reading something about a 3rd party
> product offering for a zero beat mod.
>
> Predictably, I can't find it in the Elecraft Archives or by Googling
> "KX1 modifications".
>
> Any KX1 users out there know anything about this mod?
>
> I was quite successful in the recent CQ WW contest and I think my
> ability to sit right on top of the DX with my K2 contributed a great
> deal.
>
> I'd like to have the same chance at accurate spotting with my KX1 if
> possible.
>
> Any info would be appreciated, especially a URL or a name.
>
> Thanks much!
>

> Stan Levandowski WB2LQF
> HF QRP CW -- Doing more with less for over 50 years!
> QCWA #35038   OOTC #4558   NAQCC #4740   SKCC #6488   FISTS #14992

Re: KX1 - KX1 Zero Beat Mod ??

Don Wilhelm-4
  Sorry for the Typo, Tom's website is www.n0ss.net - I put an "o" in
the address instead of a zero - I will blame it on "fat fingers"