KX1 Parts Question

Oscar Staudt
Maybe I'm being a little paranoid, but since everything else in the
instructions is SO precise, I wanted to ensure a slight part variation was
intended.  - L9 (4.7uH) is specified as a "micro" size -- the smaller size -
in both the instruction text (page 31) and the parts inventory
  - The only 4.7uH inductor (brn-blk-brn) sent is actually a "mini" size -
the larger size

The inductor will fit on the board, but the leads will have to be bent right
at the point where the lead exits the device molding - and the text
indicated these inductors are very fragile.

Question:  Is the mini size L9 what you are sending now with some of the
kits? (rather than the smaller micro size)

If so, no problem -- I'll just chunk it in there and not worry.

BTW, alignment and test Part I went perfectly.  I haven't had so much fun in
years.  Great kit, great assembly manual.

Oscar, WB5GCX

Re: KX1 Parts Question

Don Wilhelm-4
Oscar,

L9 is 100 uHy, not 4.7 uHy.  Color code brown - black - brown = 1-0-1
The first two bands indicate the first two significant digits of the
value and the 3rd band indicates the number of zeros to append to those
first two digits.

Yes, it is now a mini size instead of the micro.  The micro size were
quite fragile and are no longer available.  BTW - IIRC, it *was* in the
errata sheet, but apparently was inadvertently dropped with the last
errata update.

Either bend both leads inward and mount with the body parallel to the
board OR, just mount it at a bit of an angle with one end sticking up a
bit - either will work fine, the aesthetic appearance of the finished
board is up to you and may influence your choice.