KX1 RX problem

Pierre
A new problem is affecting my KX1 (#442). If I tune on 40, 30 and 20m, the KXAT1 finds a correct match on all three bands, and after tuning, signals on RX are loud and clear.

But after, as soon as I touch the paddle on 30 or 20, the RX signals drop considerably on these bands; but that problem don't appear on 40 m.

Any clue?

Thanks de Pierre VE2PID

Re: KX1 RX problem

Don Wilhelm-4
Pierre,

That is a strange combination of bands to produce a problem.
My guess is that you have either a faulty relay contact or a bad solder
connection/toroid lead in the KXAT1.   Perhaps a relay contact that
makes contact until you pass RF through it.
You could try the last two troubleshooting steps shown on page 11 of the
KXAT1 manual.

Pierre wrote:
> A new problem is affecting my KX1 (#442). If I tune on 40, 30 and 20m, the KXAT1 finds a correct match on all three bands, and after tuning, signals on RX are loud and clear.
>
> But after, as soon as I touch the paddle on 30 or 20, the RX signals drop considerably on these bands; but that problem don't appear on 40 m.
>
> Any clue?
>
> Thanks de Pierre VE2PID

Re: KX1 RX problem

Pierre
Hi Don,

Well, I am really not "gifted" when it comes to repair. I tried your
solution, but more problems appeared. Last one,
I touched something with a metal screwdriver and now the last digit of the
led is not working!!

So, I would like to ask yousomething: do some repairs at your QTH??

 If so, and if you agree, I could send you my KX1.. and I would of course
pay you any charge for repairing and shipping via Paypal or international
money order).

The problems

Last LED not working (newest mistake I made)
Sudden drop on RX on 30 and 20 (. I get a 1.0 SWR on TX on all bands with a
dummy load, made the checks you suggested, but not fixed)
I made a wire jumper to repair a broken link when I tried to introduce a
scew for a new paddle. This is ok but un"esthetic")..
Maybe not optimised for max RX. In the past, I made the mo suggested to
raise a little the power output

I really love my KX1 made over 1500 QSO since building it in Feb 2004 and
want to do more

Thanks for your attention, and have a nice day

> That is a strange combination of bands to produce a problem.
> My guess is that you have either a faulty relay contact or a bad solder
> connection/toroid lead in the KXAT1.   Perhaps a relay contact that
> makes contact until you pass RF through it.
> You could try the last two troubleshooting steps shown on page 11 of the
> KXAT1 manual.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Pierre wrote:
>> A new problem is affecting my KX1 (#442). If I tune on 40, 30 and 20m,
>> the KXAT1 finds a correct match on all three bands, and after tuning,
>> signals on RX are loud and clear.
>>
>> But after, as soon as I touch the paddle on 30 or 20, the RX signals drop
>> considerably on these bands; but that problem don't appear on 40 m.
>>
>> Any clue?
>>
>> Thanks de Pierre VE2PID

09:38:00