KX1 and Palm paddles

Chuck Guenther
I recently purchased a set of miniature paddles by Palm Radio
for portable use with my KX1.  I came across a fine blog by VE3WDM
who attached his Palm paddle mounting bracket to the left side of his KX1
battery case using a double sided adhesive mounting tape.

See: http://ve3wdm.blogspot.com/2010/11/theres-new-key-in-town.html

Mike used a Lepage product called "No More Nails," that is apparently
not available in the states.  After trips to major hardware stores and some
research on the web, I located an apparently equivalent product by Loctite,
called "Power Grab mounting tape."  There was one Ace hardware store in
St. Louis that has it.

The paddle mounting bracket could, of course, be mounted with screws;
however I preferred the tape, since I was concerned about my accuracy in
drilling the battery case.

I also shortened the paddle cable and installed a right angle stereo plug
as Mike did.  The results look very good.

73,
Chuck  Guenther NI0C
KX1 s/n 2512

Re: KX1 and Palm paddles

Tony Estep
On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Chuck Guenther <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ....double sided adhesive mounting tape...

Another source is R/C servo mounting tape, available at any hobby shop. It
is very sticky (when new -- watch out for old stock), and has a thin foam
core that makes it conform to the surface it's sticking to.

Tony KT0NY

Re: KX1 and Palm paddles

Byron Servies
On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Tony Estep <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Chuck Guenther <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ....double sided adhesive mounting tape...
>>

> Another source is R/C servo mounting tape

Whenever I need something like this I end up browsing through the 3M
web site (www.3m.com).  They have an astonishing array of products for
huge numbers of applications and I often find a better solution that
what I was looking for initially.

For example, last summer I was looking for electrical potting epoxy
and found a much less expensive and easy to handle option: hot melt
potting compound sticks!  Indeed, they have a whole range of hot melt
products for different applications I found fascinating (though not
right for what you are doing now).

Just a thought.

73, Byron N6NUL
----
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org