KX1 headphones

Edwin Johnson
> Every time I go out with the KX1, I get annoyed with how my Optimus earbuds
> hurt my ears and one falls out repeatedly. I know that Koss earbuds have
> been recommended on the list before, but I assume they too are too large for
> my ears. The Optimus ones are 0.65" or 16.4 mm in diameter. I do have a pair

> very light Sony headset but with better sensitivity? Or, is there a brand of
> sensitive earbuds with a smaller diameter or a soft body? I don't want an

I may have what you need. These are Ultimate Ears, model Super.fi 3, and have
small loop of wire which is actually the cable which go from the plug around
the top of the ear and then join in the front. The part around the ear is
stiffened. (Hope you can picture that.)

Almost any high quality earbuds will come with several sizes of earplugs for
them. This came with a set of four rubber-type and one set of foam. I prefer
the foam. As 'faddish' as the name sounds, these people make very, very high
end products (earbuds) for the recording industry. This model is sold by Radio
Shack and is a bit less expensive (maybe because they are red and commissioned
by RS?) than the regular Super.fi 3 models, but with identical specifications.

The best part is they are extremely efficient, 13 ohms at 1kHz, so work very
well with my K3. Now I must say I bought them because their response is
virtually flat and I wanted them for classical music - no bass boost and all
that stuff. You will _not_ need an amp with these.

Also, I just ordered from a second company on Ultimate Ears' website, several
sets of foam earplugs for them. They are unique in that they have a coating
which helps them stay in the ears and the foam blocks outside sounds more.
This company makes earplugs for the whole earbud industry, so you might find
replacements in different sizes for your present earbuds. The company is
Hearing Components and has online ordering:

http://www.hearingcomponents.com

73 ...Edwin, KD5ZLB

Re: KX1 headphones

Anthony Hardwick
Another high end option you might want to look into is one of the
Etymotic Research models.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.aspx

I have a pair of ER4S's that I have used for years with iPods for air
travel.  It does wonders to passively attenuate crying babies, etc.,
and the frequency response is outstanding.  A lot of audiophiles like
these earbuds.

While I haven't built my KX1 yet (just purchased it at the Santa
Barbara ARRL gathering last weekend from the Elecraft table), I plan
on using these with my KX1 once I have completed building it.

I think the ER4P's might be the way to go if purchasing specifically
for the KX1, since it has a 10 db gain over the regular ER4S's.  You
can click on the link on the right that says "Which ER4 is Right for
You?" to read more about the differences.

I see the company now has various active noise canceling earbuds as
well now, so that may be another option to look into.

I have no affiliation with Etymotic Research other than being a very
satisfied customer.

Re: KX1 headphones

Brett Howard
The Etymotic's are actually a really good price point for the quality.
You're not paying for a name like Klipsch who is literally just implementing
technology that Etymotic sells to them.

Ety doesn't make active noise cancelling products for audio heard.
Technically their not really doing active noise cancelling for their
headsets either they are doing it all mostly by virtue of using directional
mics rather than omni mics and with implementation of wind screens.

The ER6's also make a decent pair as well and are much cheaper.  Don't go by
the prices on etymotic's website as they are MSRP only and much better
pricing can be had.  Also keep in mind that you need to keep your ears clean
and there are filters that require replacement every so often.  I find that
once or twice a year is about all that is really needed.

I personally own ER4P's as I use them with a portable player and low power
output stages and appreciate the efficiency.  But I also have noticed that
they sound much better when driven with a headphone amplifier that I've
built on a bread board.  The breadboard amp is fairly complex but has a much
richer sound than that of my mp3 player direct.  I've verified this double
blind with a good number of people and many agreed that it is an improvement
(although minor).

One thing that I find helps with prolonged use is that I went to my local
audiologist who had to test my hearing just by virtue of my being there.
She looked at my results and thought I was nuts for even coming in to be
tested.  Then I explained...  Westone makes molds for the ER4's that work a
trick.  You have to go to a Dr (or you technically can do this yourself) but
you need to have proper molds taken of your ears.  You then send this off to
Westone and they send back molds (in one of several materials) I find the
otoblast to be one of the best.  These molds are the equivalent of custom
hearing aids (Westone actually specializes in hearing aids) and they can be
worn all day long with no fatigue and hold quite well just by virtue of how
well they fit and seal.

~Brett