KX1 power modification

Stan AE7UT
I just traded my beloved little K1 for a KX1.
The KX1 has the KXB3080 and tuner.

I was going to try the power mod and wondered where you guys
get resistors on the internet.  I know.... dumb question but I'm
not an electronics guru like you guys.  I actually have the 33 ohm
resistor but I can't find the 4.7 ohm resistor in my one horse town.
The prices I'm coming up with shipping are in the $10-12 dollar range.

Thanks
73
Stan  AE7UT

Re: KX1 power modification

Phil Hystad-3
I bought a couple of different "resistor kits" on Ebay years ago and I still use those
as my main source.  Buy more than you need definitely but in the end pay less
then buying each time.

Although, I am not sure if such kits have a 4.7 ohm resistor but I think it has the 33 ohm.  So,
use 7 33 ohm resistors in parallel :-).

I know there are a variety of resistances under 100 ohms.  There are probably different sets
available -- buy them all.  Of course, I have not looked on Ebay for the last five years at
least so I am not sure if they are still available.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Aug 28, 2013, at 10:15 AM, Stan AE7UT <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just traded my beloved little K1 for a KX1.
> The KX1 has the KXB3080 and tuner.
>
> I was going to try the power mod and wondered where you guys
> get resistors on the internet. I know.... dumb question but I'm
> not an electronics guru like you guys. I actually have the 33 ohm
> resistor but I can't find the 4.7 ohm resistor in my one horse town.
> The prices I'm coming up with shipping are in the $10-12 dollar range.
>
> Thanks
> 73
> Stan AE7UT

Re: KX1 power modification

Mike WA8BXN
Two 10 ohm resistors in parallel should do just fine, or similar
combinations.

73 - Mike WA8BXN

Re: KX1 power modification

Dick Dievendorff
I buy from Mouser (good for small quantities) or DigiKey.  I usually buy
more than one resistor because of the minimum shipping cost.  I keep a list
of things I'd like to have and order something about once a month.

I bought a resistor assortment from Joe Knows Electronics or Sparkfun or
Elenco through Amazon.com.  Look on amazon for "resistor assortment" or
"capacitor assortment"

73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: KX1 power modification

Stan AE7UT
Awesome.
Thanks guys.

73
Stan AE7UT

Re: KX1 power modification

Scotty Long

Stan,

Is your address good on QRZ.com I will mail you a 4.7 ohm no charge... I only have 5% 1/8-1/2 watt let me know...this will get you going till your stock arrives...
73/Scotty/NU0S

Dick Dievendorff <[hidden email]> wrote:

I buy from Mouser (good for small quantities) or DigiKey.  I usually buy
more than one resistor because of the minimum shipping cost.  I keep a list
of things I'd like to have and order something about once a month.

I bought a resistor assortment from Joe Knows Electronics or Sparkfun or
Elenco through Amazon.com.  Look on amazon for "resistor assortment" or
"capacitor assortment"

73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: KX1 power modification

Stan AE7UT