KX1 problems after a reset

wunger (William Unger)-2
Hello:

I was changing some of the settings on my KX1 in anticipation of the SPAR Winter Field Day and FYBO.  I have had the KX1 with the ATU and 80/30 options for several years and it worked fine.

I changed a lot of parameters and was not pleased with the way it was operating so I decided just to do a complete reset to the factory settings and that went fine.

When I turned it on I only 3 bands (when I push the band switch) starting at 8, 9 and 14 MHz and I cannot tune below 5 MHz

I have turned on B30 in the options and did another reset as well with the same results.  I can receive between 5 and 14 MHz and transmit on 14 MHz  It did operate on all bands before the reset so I assume it is not a hardware or soldering problem per say.  The software revision says its 102.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill VE3XT

Moe

Re: KX1 problems after a reset

Moe
After you are on b30, hit the RIT/2/CLR button to get b80 and then
press/hold Edit to turn it on.
--
Moe - AB8XA
ARRL LOTW, eQSL, Fists #13020, SKCC #7460,

On Feb 14, 2011, at 4:50 PM, wunger (William Unger) wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I was changing some of the settings on my KX1 in anticipation of the
> SPAR Winter Field Day and FYBO.  I have had the KX1 with the ATU and
> 80/30 options for several years and it worked fine.
>
> I changed a lot of parameters and was not pleased with the way it
> was operating so I decided just to do a complete reset to the
> factory settings and that went fine.
>
> When I turned it on I only 3 bands (when I push the band switch)
> starting at 8, 9 and 14 MHz and I cannot tune below 5 MHz
>
> I have turned on B30 in the options and did another reset as well
> with the same results.  I can receive between 5 and 14 MHz and
> transmit on 14 MHz  It did operate on all bands before the reset so
> I assume it is not a hardware or soldering problem per say.  The
> software revision says its 102.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill VE3XT

Re: KX1 problems after a reset

  Bill,

Well, it is fortunate you are not down to 2 bands after a reset.
The menu parameters that were restored to default are BFO, DDS, SIG,
B30. B80, and ATU.   If you had the Sidetone pitch and level set to
anything other than the defaults, those need to be reset too.  In other
words, if you had anything set in the menu that is different than
default, you have to set it again.  In particular the BFO and DDS
parameters will have to be set if the dial calibration is to correct -
see the manual and set the BFO parameter first, then DDS - I normally
use 10 MHz WWV because its tones are defined.

Look at the description in the KX1 menu listing in the manual to see how
to change the display from b30 to b80 so you can turn on 80 meters too.
Briefly, if you do have "b30" displayed, tap the rightmost button and it
will change to "b80"  hold the EDIT button, and the display should
change to "off" - move the VFO to change it to ON, and exit the menu.
You should then have 4 bands.