KX1 s/n 2512 completed

Chuck Guenther
I've just completed assembly and testing of my new KX1 and KX1AT.
I built s/n 1287 in 2005 and later traded it, with some regrets.

I have a few comments concerning the assembly instructions.
(Page number references given are from the Rev. E Manual, dated May 21,
2010)

Page 42, installation of R32:  I was confused a little by the sentence:
"This resistor is not present on the Revision B or B1 PC boards."
(I wasn't sure whether to install R32 or not, since I had a Rev B board.)

I think what the writer meant was: "A space for this resistor was not
provided in
the layout of the Rev. B or B1 PC boards."  That's what I assumed, so I
installed the resistor.

Page 53, Installing the standoff for Q6 collector:
I ended up omitting the split washer at the bottom of the board, as the
3/16" pan head screw
was not long enough to engage the threads of the standoff otherwise.

Page 54, securing the board to the top cover:

The step just says to use three 4-40 x 1/4 flat-head screws.  Yet, if Q6
has a metal tab,
a nylon screw must be used for the middle screw.  It would be a good
idea to make this
explicit in this step.

My new KX1 is working fine, and I'll be taking some time to re-acquaint
myself with
it before adding the KXB3080 module.

73,
Chuck Guenther  NI0C
KX1 s/n 2512, K2 s/n 5853, K3 s/n 1061

Re: KX1 s/n 2512 completed

K8QI
Chuck,
I'm presently building KX1 # 2520 currently in phase 2.    Appreciate the heads up on the 2 items you mention.    I did read the step with the R32 and was confused.   But thought when I got to that step, it would be clearer...   Glad your's is up and and working fine.    Hope to join you on the air very soon.

73
Barry K8QI

KX1 s/n 2512 completed

Chuck Guenther
Fine business, Barry.

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier comments on the KX1 construction
was with regard to the battery holder installation described on pp. 55-57
of the KX1 manual.

I used small pieces of duct tape to hold the wires in place on the
bottom side
of the left battery holder.  This preserved my sanity during these
rather awkward
construction steps.  Just make sure the tape does not cross the molded
ridges
at the bottom of the holder.

73,
Chuck Guenther  NI0C