KX1 strikes again

MontyS
Another year, another cruise, aboard the MS Veendam, to celebrate my wife Paula's and my 50th wedding anniversary.

I used my KX1 to contact EU3AR in Belarus, while off the coast of Brazil, and AA3B in Pennsylvania while off the coast of Venezuela.

Rainy days shortened my operating on the many sea days and river days of this trip,

Fantastic rig.  Highly recommend lithium AA batteries - I had three sets, but only needed one.

Monty K2DLJ

Re: KX1 strikes again

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: KX1 strikes again

KW4H
That's great, Monty!  My wife and I are Holland America fans, we just took a
cruise this spring on the Nieuw Amsterdam and loved it.  What did you do to
get permission to operate onboard?  I may have to try that sometime.

73,

Steve, KW4H

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Monty Shultes <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Another year, another cruise, aboard the MS Veendam, to celebrate my wife
> Paula's and my 50th wedding anniversary.
>
> I used my KX1 to contact EU3AR in Belarus, while off the coast of Brazil,
> and AA3B in Pennsylvania while off the coast of Venezuela.
>
> Rainy days shortened my operating on the many sea days and river days of
> this trip,
>
> Fantastic rig.  Highly recommend lithium AA batteries - I had three sets,
> but only needed one.
>
> Monty K2DLJ

Re: KX1 strikes again

Fred Townsend
I had heard that it was possible to get access to the radio room on certain
cruise lines. I asked one (unnamed) line what the procedure was for getting
access. They said it was verboten and seemed irritated I would even ask.
Then I checked with the Maritime Union. It seems the US flags don't have
radio officers anymore. They are electronics officers. There is VHF ship to
shore on the bridge and they use stat phones for long haul. Everything is
computerized hence the electronics officer.

It may be that ships having radio rooms are now under the purview of the
recreation director. If you know of any, please publish the names of any
radio friendly cruise lines so I can book them next time.

de Fred AE6QL

That's great, Monty!  My wife and I are Holland America fans, we just took a
cruise this spring on the Nieuw Amsterdam and loved it.  What did you do to
get permission to operate onboard?  I may have to try that sometime.

73,

Steve, KW4H

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Monty Shultes <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Another year, another cruise, aboard the MS Veendam, to celebrate my
> wife Paula's and my 50th wedding anniversary.
>
> I used my KX1 to contact EU3AR in Belarus, while off the coast of
> Brazil, and AA3B in Pennsylvania while off the coast of Venezuela.
>
> Rainy days shortened my operating on the many sea days and river days
> of this trip,
>
> Fantastic rig.  Highly recommend lithium AA batteries - I had three
> sets, but only needed one.
>
> Monty K2DLJ

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: KX1 strikes again

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: KX1 strikes again

K8QI
Ron,
Very interesting info.    Thanks for sharing...
73
Barry K8QI