KX1 switches off when antenna connector shorted

KX1 switches off when antenna connector shorted

NA7U Shack
Is it normal for the KX1 to shut off if it sees a short across the BNC
connector (no RF applied)? I'm trying to use a 4:1 Guanella balun (which
looks like an electrical short) but the KX1 shuts off if it's in line. I
tested this behavior by simply shorting the BNC, also.

73,

Casey

<http://cloud-warmer.blogspot.com>

Re: KX1 switches off when antenna connector shorted

Don Wilhelm-4
Casey,

That can happen if C44 fails shorted.  Turn the KX1 on and measure the
voltage at the center of the BNC jack.  If it is not zero, replace C44.

On 8/2/2011 1:34 PM, NA7U wrote:
> Is it normal for the KX1 to shut off if it sees a short across the BNC
> connector (no RF applied)? I'm trying to use a 4:1 Guanella balun (which
> looks like an electrical short) but the KX1 shuts off if it's in line. I
> tested this behavior by simply shorting the BNC, also.

Re: KX1 switches off when antenna connector shorted

NA7U Shack
Oddly enough I tried a different power supply and it was OK. Then I
tried again the previous PS and it was OK. ?? I will check C44, however.