KX1 tuning

Chris Fowler-2
I am a bit confused with the power reported when tuning the KX1.

Today I used a Maldol whip.  While tuning the rug reported power of 6 with an SWR of 4.  I had no luck do I went to my car with a ham stick.  With that antenna was getting a power of 0.8 abc SWR of 4.   So why is this?  The power does not really matter since neither yielded QSOs.  I am just curious as to how this works.

I have much better antennas.  I am on vacation and my options are severely limited.

73,
Chris K4FH