KX3 #0325

stan levandowski

My KX3, ordered at 0143 EST on 12/28/2011 arrived today.  I decided to
treat myself this time and purchased the fully optioned, factory-built
and tested version.   I was on the air and working DX on 15 meters 7
minutes after the scissors slit the packing tape.  Still have not opened
the manual.  Even the power cord was provided, with tinned ends, for
rapid connection to my station distribution panel.  What a rig!  What a
concept!  What a lot of reading I've got to do!

One comment - which is in NO WAY a reflection on Elecraft -  the paddle
is clearly superior to the KX1's KXPD1, but it really is best fitted to
iambic users and other kinder, gentler people.  I am a violent bug
basher who requires at the very least 6 lbs of dead weight.  I will
probably put the paddle back in the box, along with the microphone I'll
never use, and leave a note for the kids to make sure to plug the paddle
and mic into the KX3 before placing the rig into my folded hands and
closing the lid on the coffin.

As Bogey said, "...it looks like this is going to be the beginning of a
beautiful relationship."

73, Stan WB2LQF
K1#2994    K2# 6980    K3#5244    KX1 #2411     KX3#0325     K9 (Cocoa
the Chihuahua)
Everything is QRP, even the dog.

Re: KX3 #0325

Joe K2UF
Stan,

I can understand the keyer paddle plan, but why would you ever want to have
a mic. in your hand for eternity.  ;o)

In the meantime enjoy your new toy.

73 Joe K2UF

No trees were harmed in the sending of this e-mail; however, many electrons
were inconvenienced.

!

wayne burdick
stan levandowski wrote:

> What a rig!...

Thanks, Stan. Glad you like it.

> I am a violent bug basher who requires at the very least 6 lbs of
> dead weight....

Alternative: With the KX3 up on its tilt stand there's enough
clearance to a chunk of metal to the back, say 6 x 2 x 0.5 inches. You
could use steel or lead (boring!), or make your KX3 truly unique by
using osmium, tungsten, indium, etc.

Wayne
N6KR

Re: !

kevinr@coho.net
6 x 2 x 0.5 gives 6 cu in.  Which is 98 cubic centimeters.  at 22.5
gm/cc that gives 2212 gms.  The going price for a gram of osmium is $61
which makes your weight cost about $134,947 not counting machining,
mounting, plus shipping and handling.  Quite the fancy weight for your
rig Wayne :)

Kevin.  KD5ONS

On 6/7/2012 3:19 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> stan levandowski wrote:
>
>> What a rig!...
> Thanks, Stan. Glad you like it.
>

>> I am a violent bug basher who requires at the very least 6 lbs of
>> dead weight....
> Alternative: With the KX3 up on its tilt stand there's enough
> clearance to a chunk of metal to the back, say 6 x 2 x 0.5 inches. You
> could use steel or lead (boring!), or make your KX3 truly unique by
> using osmium, tungsten, indium, etc.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: !

David Cutter
Perhaps unobtainium?

Sorry, just being silly..

David
G3UNA

On 07/06/2012 22:19, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> stan levandowski wrote:
>
>> What a rig!...
> Thanks, Stan. Glad you like it.
>

>> I am a violent bug basher who requires at the very least 6 lbs of
>> dead weight....
> Alternative: With the KX3 up on its tilt stand there's enough
> clearance to a chunk of metal to the back, say 6 x 2 x 0.5 inches. You
> could use steel or lead (boring!), or make your KX3 truly unique by
> using osmium, tungsten, indium, etc.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: !

N5GE-2

I saw that movie too, David ;-)

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 23:32:06 +0000, David Cutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Perhaps unobtainium?
>
>Sorry, just being silly..
>
>David
>G3UNA
>
>On 07/06/2012 22:19, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>> stan levandowski wrote:
>>
>>> What a rig!...
>> Thanks, Stan. Glad you like it.
>>

>>> I am a violent bug basher who requires at the very least 6 lbs of
>>> dead weight....
>> Alternative: With the KX3 up on its tilt stand there's enough
>> clearance to a chunk of metal to the back, say 6 x 2 x 0.5 inches. You
>> could use steel or lead (boring!), or make your KX3 truly unique by
>> using osmium, tungsten, indium, etc.
>>
>> Wayne
>> N6KR

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: !

stan levandowski
Wayne, I think I will just leave well enough alone.  To avoid launching
my new KX3 off the side of the desk, I will just use my 6 lb. Frattini.
For portable use, where weight is a factor, I will use my 5 lb Begali
Intrepid.   Also, someone inquired why a CW op would want to be buried
with a mic -- to take it out of circulation, of course, so no one else
could use it.  73,  Stan WB2LQF

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> stan levandowski wrote:
>
>> What a rig!...
>
> Thanks, Stan. Glad you like it.
>

>> I am a violent bug basher who requires at the very least 6 lbs of
>> dead weight....
>
> Alternative: With the KX3 up on its tilt stand there's enough
> clearance to a chunk of metal to the back, say 6 x 2 x 0.5 inches. You
> could use steel or lead (boring!), or make your KX3 truly unique by
> using osmium, tungsten, indium, etc.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: !

kevinr@coho.net
I have my Elecraft mike hanging next to the rig too.  Not plugged into
anything; it is more like sculpture :)
     Kevin.  KD5ONS

On 6/7/2012 3:48 PM, stan levandowski wrote:

> Wayne, I think I will just leave well enough alone.  To avoid launching
> my new KX3 off the side of the desk, I will just use my 6 lb. Frattini.
> For portable use, where weight is a factor, I will use my 5 lb Begali
> Intrepid.   Also, someone inquired why a CW op would want to be buried
> with a mic -- to take it out of circulation, of course, so no one else
> could use it.  73,  Stan WB2LQF
>
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>
>> stan levandowski wrote:
>>
>>> What a rig!...
>> Thanks, Stan. Glad you like it.
>>

>>> I am a violent bug basher who requires at the very least 6 lbs of
>>> dead weight....
>> Alternative: With the KX3 up on its tilt stand there's enough
>> clearance to a chunk of metal to the back, say 6 x 2 x 0.5 inches. You
>> could use steel or lead (boring!), or make your KX3 truly unique by
>> using osmium, tungsten, indium, etc.
>>
>> Wayne
>> N6KR

Re: !

Lyle Johnson
Or strap the KX3 to your thigh, anchored with 3M Dual Lock (tm), and use
the KXPD3.  This will only work if your leg weighs more than 6 lbs,
though...

73,

Lyle KK7P

> ...For portable use, where weight is a factor, I will use my 5 lb Begali
> Intrepid.

!

vk4tux

Reminds me of one I saw recently mounted to a gold bar;

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/7910/kx3gold.jpg

> Alternative: With the KX3 up on its tilt stand there's enough

> clearance to a chunk of metal to the back, say 6 x 2 x 0.5 inches. You
> could use steel or lead (boring!), or make your KX3 truly unique by
> using osmium, tungsten, indium, etc.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: !

There are even heavier metals, but unfortunately they are also
radioactive and therefore hazardous to your health.

I just received an N3ZN single lever paddle (ZNSLR) - what a great piece
of workmanship - Thank you Tony.
It weighs in at about 5 pounds, so there is no problem with it moving,
but it is not something that works nicely for portable operation.

On 6/7/2012 6:19 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> stan levandowski wrote:
>
>> What a rig!...
> Thanks, Stan. Glad you like it.
>

>> I am a violent bug basher who requires at the very least 6 lbs of
>> dead weight....
> Alternative: With the KX3 up on its tilt stand there's enough
> clearance to a chunk of metal to the back, say 6 x 2 x 0.5 inches. You
> could use steel or lead (boring!), or make your KX3 truly unique by
> using osmium, tungsten, indium, etc.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: !

k6dgw
On 6/7/2012 3:28 PM, kevinr wrote:
> 6 x 2 x 0.5 gives 6 cu in.  Which is 98 cubic centimeters.  at 22.5
> gm/cc that gives 2212 gms.  The going price for a gram of osmium is $61
> which makes your weight cost about $134,947 not counting machining,
> mounting, plus shipping and handling.  Quite the fancy weight for your
> rig Wayne :)

I suggest using Fruitcake.

1.  It is the heaviest thing in the universe.

2.  It cannot be destroyed, it can only be given away.

3.  All the Fruitcake in the universe was created in the Big Bang:
Hydrogen [H], a little Helium [He], and Fruitcake [Fc].  Being the
heaviest thing in the universe, it collected the H and He around it
forming stars and galaxies.  Some scientists call it Dark Matter which
makes sense, I've never seen white Fc.

4.  Galaxies merged, combining their Fc, and eventually the solar system
was born, with it's share of Fc.  By now, supernovae had seeded the Fc
with other elements:  Blueberry [Bb], Orange Peel [Op], Lemon Peel [Lp],
Raisin [R], and Unknown Fruit That Sticks In Your Teeth [Uftsiyt].
Depending on where you go in the universe, you can also find Nuts [Nu]
in Fc.  The unknown stuff that holds this all together is called Dark
Energy.

5.  Fc is so dense that nothing can ionize it.  Hence it is an
insulator, except for that collected by my weird Uncle Jack which
attracts lightning.  I believe his is a rare isotope of Fc.

6.  Little known fact:  Sunspots are really chunks of Fc rising to the
surface and bobbing around.  If any were ever ejected and collided with
the Earth, civilization as we know it would end.  Some think this would
be a good idea.  Fortunately, it has never happened, which is pretty
obvious since were still here, civilized or not.

7.  Fc would certainly hold a KX3 down.  It would hold an SX-28 down ...
wait, the SX-28 did that by itself.  Possibly it was made from Fc?

Science lesson for the day, right here on Elecraft.  No need to thank
me, I'm retired, and I have a lot of time on my hands.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: !

John_N1JM
What's a paddle?

Re: !

kevinr@coho.net
It is how you move a canoe.
     Kevin.  KD5ONS

On 6/7/2012 6:00 PM, John_N1JM wrote:

> What's a paddle?

Re: !

Arthur Burke
My set of paddles at home is a moderately heavy Begali (Magnetic Classic).
My paddles for my mobile setup is a no-longer-sold Profi II by Schurr. It
weighs
something like 54 ounces, so it doesn't move much either!

Although the Profi II is no longer available, there's a new model that
looks very similar - very pretty with what looks like a  bronze base and a
built-in dust cover. It is both weighty and pricey - not for the faint of
heart or faint of wallet!

My Profi and Begali both draw about as much conversation as my K3.

Art - N4PJ

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are even heavier metals, but unfortunately they are also
> radioactive and therefore hazardous to your health.
>
> I just received an N3ZN single lever paddle (ZNSLR) - what a great piece
> of workmanship - Thank you Tony.
> It weighs in at about 5 pounds, so there is no problem with it moving,
> but it is not something that works nicely for portable operation.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 6/7/2012 6:19 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> > stan levandowski wrote:
> >
> >> What a rig!...
> > Thanks, Stan. Glad you like it.
> >

> >> I am a violent bug basher who requires at the very least 6 lbs of
> >> dead weight....
>  > Alternative: With the KX3 up on its tilt stand there's enough
> > clearance to a chunk of metal to the back, say 6 x 2 x 0.5 inches. You
> > could use steel or lead (boring!), or make your KX3 truly unique by
> > using osmium, tungsten, indium, etc.
> >
> > Wayne
> > N6KR

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: !

David Cutter
Fred, is your middle name Grommit?  What's that?  The moon is made of
cheeze?  Oh, no..

David
G3UNA

On 08/06/2012 00:02, Fred Jensen wrote:

> On 6/7/2012 3:28 PM, kevinr wrote:
>> 6 x 2 x 0.5 gives 6 cu in.  Which is 98 cubic centimeters.  at 22.5
>> gm/cc that gives 2212 gms.  The going price for a gram of osmium is $61
>> which makes your weight cost about $134,947 not counting machining,
>> mounting, plus shipping and handling.  Quite the fancy weight for your
>> rig Wayne :)
> I suggest using Fruitcake.
>
> 1.  It is the heaviest thing in the universe.
>
> 2.  It cannot be destroyed, it can only be given away.
>
> 3.  All the Fruitcake in the universe was created in the Big Bang:
> Hydrogen [H], a little Helium [He], and Fruitcake [Fc].  Being the
> heaviest thing in the universe, it collected the H and He around it
> forming stars and galaxies.  Some scientists call it Dark Matter which
> makes sense, I've never seen white Fc.
>
> 4.  Galaxies merged, combining their Fc, and eventually the solar system
> was born, with it's share of Fc.  By now, supernovae had seeded the Fc
> with other elements:  Blueberry [Bb], Orange Peel [Op], Lemon Peel [Lp],
> Raisin [R], and Unknown Fruit That Sticks In Your Teeth [Uftsiyt].
> Depending on where you go in the universe, you can also find Nuts [Nu]
> in Fc.  The unknown stuff that holds this all together is called Dark
> Energy.
>
> 5.  Fc is so dense that nothing can ionize it.  Hence it is an
> insulator, except for that collected by my weird Uncle Jack which
> attracts lightning.  I believe his is a rare isotope of Fc.
>
> 6.  Little known fact:  Sunspots are really chunks of Fc rising to the
> surface and bobbing around.  If any were ever ejected and collided with
> the Earth, civilization as we know it would end.  Some think this would
> be a good idea.  Fortunately, it has never happened, which is pretty
> obvious since were still here, civilized or not.
>
> 7.  Fc would certainly hold a KX3 down.  It would hold an SX-28 down ...
> wait, the SX-28 did that by itself.  Possibly it was made from Fc?
>
> Science lesson for the day, right here on Elecraft.  No need to thank
> me, I'm retired, and I have a lot of time on my hands.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
> - www.cqp.org

Re: !

Wilford (Doc) Lindsey
Art:

Glad to see your mention of the Schuur II even if that particular model might have been discontinued.  I use the Schuur Profi Wabbler for both fixed and portable operations, unless I am trying to conserve absolutely every ounce of weight in the backpack.

73,
Doc/K0EVZ

From: Arthur Burke <[hidden email]>
Sender: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 22:30:01
To: <[hidden email]>
Cc: <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] !

My set of paddles at home is a moderately heavy Begali (Magnetic Classic).
My paddles for my mobile setup is a no-longer-sold Profi II by Schurr. It
weighs
something like 54 ounces, so it doesn't move much either!

Although the Profi II is no longer available, there's a new model that
looks very similar - very pretty with what looks like a  bronze base and a
built-in dust cover. It is both weighty and pricey - not for the faint of
heart or faint of wallet!

My Profi and Begali both draw about as much conversation as my K3.

Art - N4PJ

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are even heavier metals, but unfortunately they are also
> radioactive and therefore hazardous to your health.
>
> I just received an N3ZN single lever paddle (ZNSLR) - what a great piece
> of workmanship - Thank you Tony.
> It weighs in at about 5 pounds, so there is no problem with it moving,
> but it is not something that works nicely for portable operation.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 6/7/2012 6:19 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> > stan levandowski wrote:
> >
> >> What a rig!...
> > Thanks, Stan. Glad you like it.
> >

> >> I am a violent bug basher who requires at the very least 6 lbs of
> >> dead weight....
>  > Alternative: With the KX3 up on its tilt stand there's enough
> > clearance to a chunk of metal to the back, say 6 x 2 x 0.5 inches. You
> > could use steel or lead (boring!), or make your KX3 truly unique by
> > using osmium, tungsten, indium, etc.
> >
> > Wayne
> > N6KR

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: ZN-SLR

Bill W4ZV
Don Wilhelm-4 wrote
I just received an N3ZN single lever paddle (ZNSLR) - what a great piece
of workmanship - Thank you Tony.
It weighs in at about 5 pounds, so there is no problem with it moving,
but it is not something that works nicely for portable operation.

Good choice Don!  The ZN-SLR is *BY FAR* the best single-lever paddle I've ever used (including Vibroplex, Bencher, Kent, Begali, etc).  My problem is that I'm so spoiled by it that I'm even willing to lug it around on portable operations like the recent QRPTTF:

http://www.zianet.com/qrp/QRPTTF/PIX/w4zv_2.jpg

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: !

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Isn't a paddle what you use to play table tennis/ping pong?  :-)

Ian, KM4IK
On Jun 7, 2012 9:01 PM, "John_N1JM" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What's a paddle?

Re: !

Terry Schieler
What's Kriptonite going for these days?