[KX3] 2 meter module caution

Lou Voerman W2ROW
I received the 2 meter module and installed it Friday afternoon. After installation, it did not work - no transmit or receive. I opened the KX3 up and discovered that the local oscillator cable had been pulled out from the coax connector at the 2M module end. I think that when I first reassembled the KX3 after installation, the cable was pinched between the top and bottom halves of the KX3 and and pulled loose. There is no warning that this might happen in the manual so I suggest you use caution. The cable is quite long and has a lot of freedom to move and can end up pinched.

Elecraft is sending me a new cable - thanks.

I have a temporary fix where I tack soldered the cable center conductor and shield to the 2M module board and all is working well.

Lou   W2ROW

Re: [KX3] 2 meter module caution

Phil Wheeler-2
The KX* rigs are both tightly packed inside!

Good tip on the 2m module, Lou. I imagine it
applies to the 4m module for European users as well.

73, Phil W7OX

On 8/3/14, 12:10 PM, Lou Voerman W2ROW wrote:

> I received the 2 meter module and installed it Friday afternoon. After
> installation, it did not work - no transmit or receive. I opened the KX3 up
> and discovered that the local oscillator cable had been pulled out from the
> coax connector at the 2M module end. I think that when I first reassembled
> the KX3 after installation, the cable was pinched between the top and bottom
> halves of the KX3 and and pulled loose. There is no warning that this might
> happen in the manual so I suggest you use caution. The cable is quite long
> and has a lot of freedom to move and can end up pinched.
>
> Elecraft is sending me a new cable - thanks.
>
> I have a temporary fix where I tack soldered the cable center conductor and
> shield to the 2M module board and all is working well.
>

> Lou   W2ROW

Message delivered to [hidden email]