[KX3] ADC/DAC access, keyer input

Edward R Cole
Wayne,

Thanks for your reply.  This is my last query on this topic which has
gotten long.

You state the KX3 will have RX analog IQ output.  This sounds like it
will be baseband audio from the IQ mixer if that is the way you are
doing it.  I think many of us were hoping to tap into the digital IQ
stream interface via USB or something.

If I am correct then one will need a ADC between the radio and
computer to convert to digital.  That is usually a high-performance
soundcard for most of us.  I am glad to see IQ access being provided,
as that will increase the versatility of the radio for use with a lot
of other software, much of which is public.

I also appreciate that this feature serves a minority of users, but
it may increase the radio's appeal way beyond the original market
target group.  The hottest thing happening in ham radio is SDR (some
may disagree).

I am also hoping for an embedded 2m transverter which will make the
radio very appealing to the satellite, eme, VHF and mw weak-signal
group.  2m is a standard IF for most mw transverters.  The KX3's size
and multimode performance will really make it appealing.

73, Ed - KL7UW

------------------------------
Message: 13
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:42:47 -0700
From: Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [KX3] ADC/DAC access, keyer input
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Hi Fred,

The RX analog I/Q output jack adds very little to the cost. It's a
standard feature.

Internal option modules include the ATU, roofing filter, and internal
battery pack with real-time clock (RTC).

(Totally off-topic: The RTC can wake-up the radio at a programmed
time, turning the KX3 into a high-performance clock radio :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: [KX3] ADC/DAC access, keyer input

Phil Hystad-3
comment ---

This is the way that I understood the IQ output that it would be
baseband audio and therefore the ADC is the sound card.  This
makes it the most easy to recover the signals since sound card
based interfaces are already supported.

Therefore, ADC should give you the original I and Q signals back
as amplitudes in numeric format depending on the actual sound
card output used.  Thus, you get back the sin and cosine amplitudes
for use in any DSP stuff you want to do on the computer.

I am not a DSP expert but rather just learning the ropes which is
one reason I am doing a lot of stuff with Mathematica since it is
easy to "process" the signals without a lot of template coding junk
in the way.

I see the KX3 as a real live signal generator of stuff to experiment
with.  So far, I have been goofing around with various mathematically
generated signals with various kinds of noise added in to add to the
fun.

Yet another plug for Mathematica.  You can buy the Home Edition
for $299 or so from Wolfram.com.  If you are math, physics, or
whatever inclined, this is a great way to spend your money (sort of).

PEH