KX3 Batter Retainer board

k9jri
My KX3 kit arrived this past week without the he battery retainer board and its associated components.  I completed the kit and went on the air without the retainer board.  I did not think it would be a problem since I did not have any batteries installed and it appeared to work perfectly on the air.  The board arrived today and installed without issue.

My question is:

There is a fairly large piece of shielding material that is installed on the board that is not electrically connected to anything.  What is the purpose of this shield?

Very 73 - Mike - K9JRI