[KX3] Batteries - rechargeable AA's

Steve KC8QVO
I have a 3 day backpacking trip coming up next weekend and will be taking my KX3 along with my solar panel/charge controller.

In the past I have used a 7Ah SLA with the rig (works pretty well) but it is heavy. I want to switch out to 8 AA's this trip to see how it works out.

What recommendations on NiMh AA cells do you all have that I can source locally? I have bought some batteries that have been decent and some that are terrible over the years, the best ones I found were at Radio Shack. What others have you had good luck with? I'd rather stay away from Walmart and other convenience stores. How about Batteries Plus? I haven't ever bought batteries from them before (cell type, my SLA came from there).

My trip takes me along the Appalachian Trail and around Sugarland Mountain in TN/NC. I'll be sure to get some pictures.

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: [KX3] Batteries - rechargeable AA's

Richard-3
Steve, the advice I got, a combination of list advice and internet
reviews, is to go with the low self-discharge NiMH made in Japan, and
the Sanyo Eneloop seem to have many followers, with the top of that line
the Sanyo Eneloop XX batteries.  Advice was to stay away from the
Chinese products as too variable.

I could not find XXs locally, and settled for the Batteries Plus
Japanese NiMH batteries this week. No reference to discharge.  I may
regret that.  Will buy a set of the XXs when I can.  Too early for reviews.

Rich
NU6T

On 10/21/2012 4:34 PM, Steve KC8QVO wrote:

> I have a 3 day backpacking trip coming up next weekend and will be taking my
> KX3 along with my solar panel/charge controller.
>
> In the past I have used a 7Ah SLA with the rig (works pretty well) but it is
> heavy. I want to switch out to 8 AA's this trip to see how it works out.
>
> What recommendations on NiMh AA cells do you all have that I can source
> locally? I have bought some batteries that have been decent and some that
> are terrible over the years, the best ones I found were at Radio Shack. What
> others have you had good luck with? I'd rather stay away from Walmart and
> other convenience stores. How about Batteries Plus? I haven't ever bought
> batteries from them before (cell type, my SLA came from there).
>
> My trip takes me along the Appalachian Trail and around Sugarland Mountain
> in TN/NC. I'll be sure to get some pictures.
>
> Steve, KC8QVO

Re: [KX3] Batteries - rechargeable AA's

sussman
I tried using eight "eneloop" NiMH batteries today for a while in the field, and when the total voltage eventually dropped below 10V, I started getting "low battery" warnings every few minutes.  I thought the new firmware worked all the way down to 8V?  I was surprised to see warnings at 9.7V.

That said, the eneloop brand seems to last a long time -- no loss of power even after sitting around for weeks.  I'm impressed.

Re: [KX3] Batteries - rechargeable AA's

GARY-2
I've been following the KX3 battery threads from a distance since the
beginning and would like to offer my own suggestion. Hopefully I'm not
duplicating previous info.

I have several portable transceivers with AA battery cases. My current
battery choice for most of them is the Sanyo 2700mAh AA. I have a couple
dozen in daily use and have been very satisfied with them overall. In some
radios they don't perform well but in most I've used they work very well.
I've been purchasing them from <http://www.batteriesamerica.com> and
charging/cycling them with a Powerex MH-C9000 charger/analyzer. If anyone
has already tried these in a KX3 please let me know how it worked out.

By the way, <http://www.batteriesamerica.com> has the eneloop XX batteries
as well.
73,
Gary
N6LRV

Re: [KX3] Batteries - rechargeable AA's

ke9uw
I am using PowerEx IMEDION AA 2400mAh. Same claims as the Eneloop and seem to be as good or better if you believe the reviews.
Anyone else try these?

Chuck, KE9UW
aka Jack, BMW Motorcycles BMWMOA #224

Chuck, KE9UW

Re: [KX3] Batteries - rechargeable AA's

Steve KC8QVO
Thanks for the info on the batteries. I went through some of the ones I have and the last batch I got are Sanyos (ordered online) and they say Japan on them. I may just charge these up and see how they work, I think they are around 2 years old (I used them in my camera and HT before).

On a side note,

Instead of making an external battery case... I was thinking of using the ones inside the rig. Has anyone tapped in to the wires for these and run an external plug for a charger? Is there anything I have to be careful with?

I have a Micro M+ solar charge controller that I use with my SLA and was thinking of running a wire from the batter cases, through the 2m antenna port (plug right now), and put a Power Pole on the end. The controller has diodes in it so the current only goes one way.

Another thought is my panel is made out of some Powerfilm panels (10 5omA strips). Last time I was out on the trials I strapped the panel to my pack. It wasn't in direct sunlight, but it was working while I was hiking. Now, how about one of those gyroscope mounts that tracks the sun? That might make my solar charging more efficient on the go HI.

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: [KX3] Batteries - rechargeable AA's

Rick Tavan N6XI
They're working well for me in light duty so far.

Rick

--
Rick Tavan
iPhone

On Oct 21, 2012, at 10:36 PM, "hawley, charles j jr" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am using PowerEx IMEDION AA 2400mAh. Same claims as the Eneloop and seem to be as good or better if you believe the reviews.
> Anyone else try these?
>
> Chuck, KE9UW
> aka Jack, BMW Motorcycles BMWMOA #224

Well I put my AA batteries inside and I ran my wire out the 2m antenna port hole. We'll see how it works. I have the batteries cycling right now - 3 cycles so tomorrow they should be good. The next step - seeing how well they hold up. This might have to wait for the trail unfortunately. I am real short on time between work and getting ready for my trip when I get home.

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: [KX3] Batteries - rechargeable AA's

Bob N9QGU
You can get the Eneloops with charger at Costco.