KX3 Battery requirements

Paul W. Van Dyke
Amazingly, I've been watching this discussion on batteries.
As soon as the call comes in, My KX3 and options will be ordered, and I
probably will get an internal battery if I can still have the ATU.
But, for a serious QRP outing - I will switch to a A123 battery.

Number one - they can be recharged from being flat in less than 20 min.
Number Two - the weight

     1st choice for an afternoon in a park/on a hillside/demo
                   -- A 4S2P lithium nanophosphate battery has a capacity of
4.6 Ah, is 4.3" x  2.25" and Pack Weight 1 lb. 11 oz.
  and according to my chart that I also use for figuring battery capacity
for the K3/K2 at 10 watts under normal SSB usage it should last around 5 3/4
hours.

      2nd choice for an all-day excursion - beach/DXpedition/emergency use
                   - A 4S4P lithium nanophosphate battery has a capacity of
9.2 Ah Size 4.3" x 4.50"   Pack Weight  3 lb. 4 oz.
  and again according to my chart that I also use for figuring battery
capacity for the K3/K2 at 10 watts under normal SSB usage it should last
around 11.5 hours.
Due to the fact that this is such an advanced portable radio, I suspect my
time will be longer than that.
The term "Totally Backpack" with a small breakdown vertical antenna/small
dipole is more than a possibility

The batteries are on the approved TSA list for airplane flight - I have
taken mine on many trips/dxpedition.

According to my calculations, I have 5 to 6 months to wait -- my next big
dxpedition starts somewhere around 1 February, 2012.

See you on the air

Paul Van Dyke - KB9AVO, VP2MVO, J79AVO and others
K2 #6363
K3 #1520

Re: KX3 Battery requirements

Bruce Beford-2
I wouldn't make any bets on that timeline, Paul. I know the gang at Elecraft
will do their level best to get the KX3 out as soon as it's ready. Still, I
think your estimate of having one in October-November is somewhat overly
optimistic. It may be possible that you could have one before your February
DXpedition, but just that- possible. My guess is that with all the initial
demand, and ramping up of production, that the likelihood of the rank and
file seeing them in 2010 is slim. I think they will begin to trickle out as
late Christmas presents. (Just my view in my somewhat foggy, cracked and
chipped crystal ball...)

Still, good luck with getting an early order in during the ensuing mad rush!

73, Bruce, N1RX