KX3 "DE-Xpedition" - K2N

stan levandowski
We'll be taking three KX3s aboard the last surviving destroyer escort in
the world {USS SLATER (DE-766)} that has been returned to its original
1945 wartime condition.  The date and time is September 19th from 1600Z
to 2400Z.  The geographic location is the Port of Albany, NY, on the
Hudson River.  We'll be operating QRP CW on or around 7031 KHz, 14061
KHz, and 18097 KHz. We'll be operating from the LOPs ("Local Operating
Positions") in Radio Central.  We'll be utilizing the authentically
restored shipboard verticals (70' and 80') and horizontal wires (100'
and 190').  There is a detailed entry for K2N at qrzed dot com including
QSL info.  There is insufficient lead time for publication in QST or CQ.
So anyone with interest please mark your calendar.
73, Stan WB2LQF

Re: KX3 "DE-Xpedition" - K2N

Scott Dunlavey
cool..and good luck.
FYI, K2N is coming up AfghaniSTAN on QRZ.com

haha

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM, stan levandowski wrote:

> We'll be taking three KX3s aboard the last surviving destroyer escort
> in the world {USS SLATER (DE-766)} that has been returned to its
> original 1945 wartime condition.  The date and time is September 19th
> from 1600Z to 2400Z.  The geographic location is the Port of Albany,
> NY, on the Hudson River.  We'll be operating QRP CW on or around 7031
> KHz, 14061 KHz, and 18097 KHz. We'll be operating from the LOPs
> ("Local Operating Positions") in Radio Central.  We'll be utilizing
> the authentically restored shipboard verticals (70' and 80') and
> horizontal wires (100' and 190').  There is a detailed entry for K2N
> at qrzed dot com including QSL info.  There is insufficient lead time
> for publication in QST or CQ. So anyone with interest please mark your
> calendar.
> 73, Stan WB2LQF

Re: KX3 "DE-Xpedition" - K2N

wayne burdick
Sounds like fun, Stan.

Hopefully you won't have the three stations right on top of each
other. But if you do, you'll want to keep the following menu entries
in mind:

- If you have two or more radios on the same band, set RX ISO to ON.
This will prevent them from hearing each other's VFO signals in
receive mode. This setting defaults to OFF since it adds about 10-15
mA to receive current drain.

- RX SHFT can be set to 8.0, if needed, to reduce or eliminate any
mutual interference during transmit. Most SDR-architecture receivers
have the equivalent of RX SHFT turned on at all times, partly for this
reason. But it defaults to no shift (NOR) in the KX3 to allow the use
of dual watch and roofing filters. RX SHFT is a per-band setting; you
might need it only on one band, or not at all.

- If keying one rig activates the carrier-operated-relay (COR) of the
other(s), you can optionally move their COR threshold up (MENU:COR
LVL). The default is 0.1 watts. I wouldn't move it too much higher
than this.

The KX3 takes other automatic protective steps as required. This
includes temporary reduction of I.F. gain, and turning off the preamp.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Aug 17, 2012, at 8:04 AM, stan levandowski wrote:

> We'll be taking three KX3s aboard the last surviving destroyer
> escort in
> the world {USS SLATER (DE-766)} that has been returned to its original
> 1945 wartime condition.  The date and time is September 19th from
> 1600Z
> to 2400Z.  The geographic location is the Port of Albany, NY, on the
> Hudson River.  We'll be operating QRP CW on or around 7031 KHz, 14061
> KHz, and 18097 KHz. We'll be operating from the LOPs ("Local Operating
> Positions") in Radio Central.  We'll be utilizing the authentically
> restored shipboard verticals (70' and 80') and horizontal wires (100'
> and 190').  There is a detailed entry for K2N at qrzed dot com
> including
> QSL info.  There is insufficient lead time for publication in QST or
> CQ.
> So anyone with interest please mark your calendar.
> 73, Stan WB2LQF

Re: KX3 "DE-Xpedition" - K2N

Cookie
Stan, that is great news!  While Slater is the only DE that is seaworthy, there is another.  It is the USS Stewart, DE 238 that is displayed at Seawolf Park at Galveston, Texas.  We have three functional antennas and a TS-440 installed.  Our call is N5BPS.  I will attempt to hear you when you get on the air and will be happy to exchange information and pictures.
Sent from my iPhone Willis Cooke, trustee for USS Stewart and USS Cavalla

On Aug 17, 2012, at 10:04, stan levandowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We'll be taking three KX3s aboard the last surviving destroyer escort in
> the world {USS SLATER (DE-766)} that has been returned to its original
> 1945 wartime condition.  The date and time is September 19th from 1600Z
> to 2400Z.  The geographic location is the Port of Albany, NY, on the
> Hudson River.  We'll be operating QRP CW on or around 7031 KHz, 14061
> KHz, and 18097 KHz. We'll be operating from the LOPs ("Local Operating
> Positions") in Radio Central.  We'll be utilizing the authentically
> restored shipboard verticals (70' and 80') and horizontal wires (100'
> and 190').  There is a detailed entry for K2N at qrzed dot com including
> QSL info.  There is insufficient lead time for publication in QST or CQ.
> So anyone with interest please mark your calendar.
> 73, Stan WB2LQF

Re: KX3 "DE-Xpedition" - K2N

Chip Stratton
Stan, Willis -

I MIGHT be able to make it to our submarine USS Batfish SS-301 to operate
from the LOP that day. And, I MIGHT have a KX3 by then - if not then my K2.
It should be a reasonable hop to Albany on 20m, not so sure about Galveston
though.

Like DE-238 our club has a TS-440 that resides on the submarine, though
there has been talk of finding a US made rig to replace it someday.

If I or another sub club member can make it, look for call WW2SUB.

Chip
AE5KA