KX3 - Filters? Am I missing something or??

KX3 - Filters? Am I missing something or??

Steve KC8QVO
I plugged an antenna in to my KX3 this evening for the first time - dead. I got to playing around with it and cranked the filter wide open and the receiver came back to life.

Every time I crank the knob past Fil1 to Fil2 I loose the receiver. I flipped through the manual and didn't see much pertaining to this.

I am thinking that the roofing filters are just that - roofing filters. I do not have them installed. Shouldn't the receiver allow DSP filtering down to 50Hz? I see there are spaces for Fil4 and Fil5 on the display, but mine don't light up past Fil3 even if I go down to 50Hz.

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: KX3 - Filters? Am I missing something or??

Don Wilhelm-4
Steve,

The display used for the KX3 is the same as that used for the K3 - and
the K3 has up to 5 roofing filters while the KX3 has only 3, but since
yours does not have the roofing filter option, you have only one filter
available and that is FL1.

The DSP sets the actual filter width and center frequency, and is quite
good even without the additional assist from the roofing filters.

I am just curious how you are able to select FL2 or FL3 without the
KXFL3 installed.  Have you checked the menu for RX XFIL and be certain
it is set to Not Inst if you do not have the KXFL3 installed.

On 7/12/2012 8:14 PM, Steve KC8QVO wrote:

> I plugged an antenna in to my KX3 this evening for the first time - dead. I
> got to playing around with it and cranked the filter wide open and the
> receiver came back to life.
>
> Every time I crank the knob past Fil1 to Fil2 I loose the receiver. I
> flipped through the manual and didn't see much pertaining to this.
>
> I am thinking that the roofing filters are just that - roofing filters. I do
> not have them installed. Shouldn't the receiver allow DSP filtering down to
> 50Hz? I see there are spaces for Fil4 and Fil5 on the display, but mine
> don't light up past Fil3 even if I go down to 50Hz.

Re: KX3 - Filters? Am I missing something or??

Steve KC8QVO
Don,

You hit the nail on the head! BINGO!

I don't believe I touched the roofing filter menu, I had no reason to in that I didn't install it. However, it was already selected in the menu and set to "normal". Either way, I turned it off and it brought back the DSP filter.

Thanks for the explanation on the display. I didn't realize it was the exact same display.

Now mine only shows Fil1 and I can scroll way down in bandwidth just like I expected to.

Steve, KC8QVO