KX3 I/Q Sidetone with NaP3

Jim - W6VAR
I've noticed that the CW sidetone always comes in above the VFO frequency or the VFO +- the CW pitch by the amount of the pitch.

For instance, if the VFO is set to 7.040.000 and the pitch is set to 600 on the KX3 and in the Options tab of NaP3, the sidetone shows in the waterfall at 7.040.600. If I adjust the pitch in NaP3 up say, 2K, the grey bar indicating where NaP3 is tuned moves up 2K, but the sidetone now shows at 7.042.600 and is not in the NaP3 audio.

I've tried setting to auto as well, but it appears no different.

Does anyone know if:
1. This is a NaP3 bug
2. The KX3 is injecting the sidetone into the I/Q off frequency by the pitch
3. The "unthinkable", I'm thinking about his all wrong and this is precisely the way it is supposed to be :)

Tnx,

Jim

Re: KX3 I/Q Sidetone with NaP3

Matt Maguire
It's option 3 :-)

When you select CW mode, the KX3 will not set the frequency of its local oscillator to be the same as what it displays on the screen, but will offset it by an amount corresponding to your preferred sidetone pitch (eg. 600Hz). This way, when a CW signal at the frequency shown on the display is mixed with the local oscillator, you get a 600Hz tone.

On transmit, the KX3 will generate a signal equal to the frequency shown on the display.

So, in order to "zero beat" a signal, you tune the incoming signal so that it has the same pitch as your sidetone. On the waterfall, the signal will be offset from centre by the pitch of your sidetone.

73, Matt VK2ACL

On 16/09/2012, at 4:26 AM, Jim - W6VAR <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've noticed that the CW sidetone always comes in above the VFO frequency or
> the VFO +- the CW pitch by the amount of the pitch.
>
> For instance, if the VFO is set to 7.040.000 and the pitch is set to 600 on
> the KX3 and in the Options tab of NaP3, the sidetone shows in the waterfall
> at 7.040.600. If I adjust the pitch in NaP3 up say, 2K, the grey bar
> indicating where NaP3 is tuned moves up 2K, but the sidetone now shows at
> 7.042.600 and is not in the NaP3 audio.
>
> I've tried setting to auto as well, but it appears no different.
>
> Does anyone know if:
> 1. This is a NaP3 bug
> 2. The KX3 is injecting the sidetone into the I/Q off frequency by the pitch
> 3. The "unthinkable", I'm thinking about his all wrong and this is precisely
> the way it is supposed to be :)
>
> Tnx,
>
> Jim

Re: KX3 I/Q Sidetone with NaP3

Don Wilhelm-4
Matt,

While what you say is the way it operates, NaP3 should indicate the
carrier at the same frequency as the KX3 display.

I have not yet used NaP3 with the KX3, but it is correct for the K3.  So
maybe there should be an update (and additional transceiver selection)
for the KX3.  I have not seen posts from Pete in several weeks, so I
don't know the support status of NaP3.

There are others - TRX-Pan, PowerSDR-IF, HPSDR as starters for the
list.  Maybe one of those do it better for the KX3.