KX3 Internal 20 watt auto-tuner VERSUS T1 (external) auto-tuner

KX3 Internal 20 watt auto-tuner VERSUS T1 (external) auto-tuner

Phil Hystad-3
Question on the KX3 internal 20-watt auto-tuner versus the T1 (external) auto-tuner.

First a Caveat:  I thought I asked this question earlier this week but I find no evidence that I ever sent it so if this by chance is a duplicate, excuses can be invented.

Is there an advantage to the KX3 internal 20-watt auto-tuner (option) versus the T1 auto-tuner.  I already have the T1 and I use it with my KX1 and a few other QRP rigs.  Besides being internal (which is nice) are there performance or feature advantages to the new KX3 option internal 20-watt auto-tuner?

Thanks.

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3 Internal 20 watt auto-tuner VERSUS T1 (external) auto-tuner

Matt Maguire
Wayne touched on this topic a couple of weeks ago in the KX3 mailing list:

"I've been using a T1 with the KX3 during development, and it works
great. We do plan to support T1 remote band switching from the KX3.

However, now that I have the first prototype of the KXAT3 ATU module
in hand, I'll be switching to the internal tuner as soon as I get the
firmware written. Rich (AC7MA) did a beautiful job on the tuner
design. At 2x3 inches, it has to be the smallest 8-inductor/8-
capacitor L-network ever. The T1's PCB is about the same size, but
it's 7-L/7-C, so the KXAT3 will have a wider matching range (same as
the KAT3).

I'll send photos of the ATU integrated into the radio as soon as I get
it running.

Wayne"

73, Matt VK2ACL