KX3 Internal soundcard

NN8B
How about making an internal sound card for the KX3 that would fit in the 2M
radio slot. The connection would probably be a USB connection with a com port
that would be used by software such as FLDIGI and HRD and the MARS MS-DMT
modem.

The sound card would be high quality and have a low latency for use
on software such as the MS-DMT M110A modem software.

Such a sound card would allow a connection to the KX3 without resorting
to special cabling for headset with mic that would have to split the audio
in/out and ptt line/foot switch. It would be especially helpful when the KX3 is using
the KXPA100 and PX3 when all the KX3 ports on the left side are used.

73
Don, NN8B

Re: KX3 Internal soundcard

Erlend Grimseid
I would buy some like that in a flash. Wouldn't there be room for a n mini
or micro usb port where the 2m antenna port would go?

73
La4tta
Erlend.
14. nov. 2015 04:17 skrev "NN8B" <[hidden email]> følgende:

> How about making an internal sound card for the KX3 that would fit in the
> 2M
> radio slot. The connection would probably be a USB connection with a com
> port
> that would be used by software such as FLDIGI and HRD and the MARS MS-DMT
> modem.
>
> The sound card would be high quality and have a low latency for use
> on software such as the MS-DMT M110A modem software.
>
> Such a sound card would allow a connection to the KX3 without resorting
> to special cabling for headset with mic that would have to split the audio
> in/out and ptt line/foot switch. It would be especially helpful when the
> KX3
> is using
> the KXPA100 and PX3 when all the KX3 ports on the left side are used.
>
> 73
> Don, NN8B

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Internal soundcard

Erlend Grimseid

> I would buy some like that in a flash. Wouldn't there be room for a n
mini or micro usb port where the 2m antenna port would go?

> 73
> La4tta
> Erlend.
>
> 14. nov. 2015 04:17 skrev "NN8B" <[hidden email]> følgende:
>>
>> How about making an internal sound card for the KX3 that would fit in
the 2M

>> radio slot. The connection would probably be a USB connection with a com
>> port
>> that would be used by software such as FLDIGI and HRD and the MARS MS-DMT
>> modem.
>>
>> The sound card would be high quality and have a low latency for use
>> on software such as the MS-DMT M110A modem software.
>>
>> Such a sound card would allow a connection to the KX3 without resorting
>> to special cabling for headset with mic that would have to split the
audio
>> in/out and ptt line/foot switch. It would be especially helpful when the
KX3

>> is using
>> the KXPA100 and PX3 when all the KX3 ports on the left side are used.
>>
>> 73
>> Don, NN8B
>>

>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Internal soundcard

Joel Black-2
Not saying I’d buy an internal sound card for my KX3 but something like this:

http://www.ti.com/tool/tmdx5535ezdsp <http://www.ti.com/tool/tmdx5535ezdsp>

I have one and it is very sensitive. I’m not currently using it though because of the lack of external controls, latency, and configuration on my Mac. I have resorted back to my E-MU 0204 which, by the way, is not supported in El Capitan even with 10.11.2 Beta (I am still using 10.10.5 on a Mac that, otherwise, fully supports 10.11).

I mention El Capitan because you have to be careful about all the internal “stuff.” What happens if an OS upgrade makes your internal “stuff” obsolete?

I’d much rather keep my station somewhat externally modular. I like consolidation where it makes sense (I recently bought the P3TXMon upgrade and love it), but I think I’d stay away from the internal sound card. Because of this, I am reluctant to purchase the new KIO3 when it comes available for my K3.

73,
Joel - W4JBB

> On Nov 13, 2015, at 9:17 PM, NN8B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How about making an internal sound card for the KX3 that would fit in the 2M
> radio slot. The connection would probably be a USB connection with a com
> port
> that would be used by software such as FLDIGI and HRD and the MARS MS-DMT
> modem.
>
> The sound card would be high quality and have a low latency for use
> on software such as the MS-DMT M110A modem software.
>
> Such a sound card would allow a connection to the KX3 without resorting
> to special cabling for headset with mic that would have to split the audio
> in/out and ptt line/foot switch. It would be especially helpful when the KX3
> is using
> the KXPA100 and PX3 when all the KX3 ports on the left side are used.
>
> 73
> Don, NN8B

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: [Bulk] Re: KX3 Internal soundcard

Ken Alexander-2
Myself, I would prefer not to lose my 2m capability.  There seems to be
more extra space inside the PX3 cabinet for options, if you don't mind
being tied to a PX3.

I don't necessarily need an internal sound card.  I'm very happy with
the external soundcard I use with my notebook computer. However, I won't
ever buy another transceiver that doesn't have a dedicated Data jack,
even if it does say Elecraft on the front.  I find it a pain to be
constantly unplugging cables and inserting new ones each time I change
modes.  I'm afraid of wearing out the 3.5mm jacks on the KX3 with all
the inserting in and removing of plugs.  I know I can use Y-adapters,
but that only adds to the considerable mess hanging off the side of my KX3.

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS

On 2015-11-14 7:19 AM, Erlend Grimseid wrote:

> I would buy some like that in a flash. Wouldn't there be room for a n mini
> or micro usb port where the 2m antenna port would go?
>
> 73
> La4tta
> Erlend.
> 14. nov. 2015 04:17 skrev "NN8B" <[hidden email]> følgende:
>
>> How about making an internal sound card for the KX3 that would fit in the
>> 2M
>> radio slot. The connection would probably be a USB connection with a com
>> port
>> that would be used by software such as FLDIGI and HRD and the MARS MS-DMT
>> modem.
>>
>> The sound card would be high quality and have a low latency for use
>> on software such as the MS-DMT M110A modem software.
>>
>> Such a sound card would allow a connection to the KX3 without resorting
>> to special cabling for headset with mic that would have to split the audio
>> in/out and ptt line/foot switch. It would be especially helpful when the
>> KX3
>> is using
>> the KXPA100 and PX3 when all the KX3 ports on the left side are used.
>>
>> 73
>> Don, NN8B
>>

>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Internal soundcard

John Hendricks-2
I agree that some type of menu selectable data connection would be a very
nice addition to the KX3.

John K7JLT

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 4:31 AM, Joel Black <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not saying I’d buy an internal sound card for my KX3 but something like
> this:
>
> http://www.ti.com/tool/tmdx5535ezdsp <http://www.ti.com/tool/tmdx5535ezdsp
> >

> I have one and it is very sensitive. I’m not currently using it though
> because of the lack of external controls, latency, and configuration on my
> Mac. I have resorted back to my E-MU 0204 which, by the way, is not
> supported in El Capitan even with 10.11.2 Beta (I am still using 10.10.5 on
> a Mac that, otherwise, fully supports 10.11).
>
> I mention El Capitan because you have to be careful about all the internal
> “stuff.” What happens if an OS upgrade makes your internal “stuff” obsolete?
>
> I’d much rather keep my station somewhat externally modular. I like
> consolidation where it makes sense (I recently bought the P3TXMon upgrade
> and love it), but I think I’d stay away from the internal sound card.
> Because of this, I am reluctant to purchase the new KIO3 when it comes
> available for my K3.
>
> 73,
> Joel - W4JBB
>
> > On Nov 13, 2015, at 9:17 PM, NN8B <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > How about making an internal sound card for the KX3 that would fit in
> the 2M
> > radio slot. The connection would probably be a USB connection with a com
> > port
> > that would be used by software such as FLDIGI and HRD and the MARS MS-DMT
> > modem.
> >
> > The sound card would be high quality and have a low latency for use
> > on software such as the MS-DMT M110A modem software.
> >
> > Such a sound card would allow a connection to the KX3 without resorting
> > to special cabling for headset with mic that would have to split the
> audio
> > in/out and ptt line/foot switch. It would be especially helpful when the
> KX3
> > is using
> > the KXPA100 and PX3 when all the KX3 ports on the left side are used.
> >
> > 73
> > Don, NN8B
> >

> > --
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Internal soundcard

Bill Frantz
One of the items on my future projects list is a small box which
would plug into the left side of the KX3 and intercept all the
plugs there. My desire for such a box comes from my habit of
switching to a band and looking for signals with the PX3. When I
see an interesting signal, I switch to the appropriate mode to
work the station. This habit means I'm switching between SSB,
CW, Data A, and AFSK A all the time. Saying this switching is a
lot easier on the K3 than it is on the KX3 is an understatement.

(The remaining problems in the K3 are turning VOX on for data
and off for SSB and switching between DATA A and AFSK A. I think
I have solved the data mode switching problem using the per-band
frequency memories. I have one for CW, one for SSB, one for DATA
A, and one for AFSK A. Each selects a frequency in the
appropriate part of the band.)

This box would include connectors for connecting the PX3 and its
pass thru for a computer, the microphone, an external CW key,
headphones, and DC power. It would include controls for
headphone volume so the headphones could be used when tuning
RTTY signals. I do worry about building the physical plug array
so all the plugs make a reliable connection.

Thanks fo Ken's message, I'm thinking of including sound card
functionality and a microcontroller to perform mode switching
and other functions via the async ascii programming interface.

I don't expect to have time to start this project anytime soon,
and I would be delighted if Elecraft or someone else picked it
up and ran with it.

73 Bill AE6JV

On 11/14/15 at 4:58 AM, [hidden email] (Ken Alexander) wrote:

>I don't necessarily need an internal sound card.  I'm very
>happy with the external soundcard I use with my notebook
>computer. However, I won't ever buy another transceiver that
>doesn't have a dedicated Data jack, even if it does say
>Elecraft on the front.  I find it a pain to be constantly
>unplugging cables and inserting new ones each time I change
>modes.  I'm afraid of wearing out the 3.5mm jacks on the KX3
>with all the inserting in and removing of plugs.  I know I can
>use Y-adapters, but that only adds to the considerable mess
>hanging off the side of my KX3.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Internal soundcard

WB4SON
I doubt the KX3 would pass the required frequency stability requirements
for MS-DMT M110A modem software, even with very careful temperature
calibration.

73, Bob, WB4SON

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Bill Frantz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of the items on my future projects list is a small box which would
> plug into the left side of the KX3 and intercept all the plugs there. My
> desire for such a box comes from my habit of switching to a band and
> looking for signals with the PX3. When I see an interesting signal, I
> switch to the appropriate mode to work the station. This habit means I'm
> switching between SSB, CW, Data A, and AFSK A all the time. Saying this
> switching is a lot easier on the K3 than it is on the KX3 is an
> understatement.
>
> (The remaining problems in the K3 are turning VOX on for data and off for
> SSB and switching between DATA A and AFSK A. I think I have solved the data
> mode switching problem using the per-band frequency memories. I have one
> for CW, one for SSB, one for DATA A, and one for AFSK A. Each selects a
> frequency in the appropriate part of the band.)
>
> This box would include connectors for connecting the PX3 and its pass thru
> for a computer, the microphone, an external CW key, headphones, and DC
> power. It would include controls for headphone volume so the headphones
> could be used when tuning RTTY signals. I do worry about building the
> physical plug array so all the plugs make a reliable connection.
>
> Thanks fo Ken's message, I'm thinking of including sound card
> functionality and a microcontroller to perform mode switching and other
> functions via the async ascii programming interface.
>
> I don't expect to have time to start this project anytime soon, and I
> would be delighted if Elecraft or someone else picked it up and ran with it.
>
> 73 Bill AE6JV
>
> On 11/14/15 at 4:58 AM, [hidden email] (Ken Alexander) wrote:
>
> I don't necessarily need an internal sound card.  I'm very happy with the
>> external soundcard I use with my notebook computer. However, I won't ever
>> buy another transceiver that doesn't have a dedicated Data jack, even if it
>> does say Elecraft on the front.  I find it a pain to be constantly
>> unplugging cables and inserting new ones each time I change modes.  I'm
>> afraid of wearing out the 3.5mm jacks on the KX3 with all the inserting in
>> and removing of plugs.  I know I can use Y-adapters, but that only adds to
>> the considerable mess hanging off the side of my KX3.

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]
73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: [Bulk] Re: KX3 Internal soundcard

GM4JJJ
The KX3 with PX3  is my primary shack transceiver which is dedicated to 2m DXing.

(I use an external transverter).

As I need to be able to switch between Data (WSJT)and SSB/CW frequently and didn't want to be constantly plugging and unplugging mic and speaker leads here is what I did:

For the receive audio I used a Behringer HA400 4 channel stereo headphone amplifier which feeds stereo headset, powered stereo speakers and soundcard. Problem solved. I can leave the KX3 audio gain at a fixed level and control individual levels on the headphone amplifier. I can monitor receive audio while on Data etc.

For transmit audio I built a switch box which has a switch to change from Soundcard (Data) or Microphone ( switching audio and PTT) . I also have a switch to choose either headset boom microphone or another desk (or hand) microphone. I have a footswitch for PTT when using the headset boom mic.  It was half a day's work to make this neat plastic box with a couple of switches and 3.5mm sockets.

A nice feature of having a mic/soundcard switchbox  is that when in Mic position there is no possibility that when I boot up the computer that the PTT of the transceiver gets pulsed on and off.

It would have been great is there had been extra switching and sockets for doing this in the KX3, but I realise that it is a portable radio and there have to be some compromises to make it so. I am just amazed what Elecraft have been able to squeeze into it.

73

David Anderson GM4JJJ