KX3 / KXBC3 NiMH Battery Charger and Real-Time Clock

KX3 / KXBC3 NiMH Battery Charger and Real-Time Clock

Joe Stone (KF5WBO)
I have a dumb question ... why doesn't the KX3 support the current month, day and year in conjunction with the KXBC3?  Is this a limitation of the KX3 firmware or the KXBC3 real-time clock?  I've never heard of a real-time clock which didn't support the current month, day and year.  Most support leap year compensation and are valid through at least 2100.

Joe
KF5WBO

Re: KX3 / KXBC3 NiMH Battery Charger and Real-Time Clock

wayne burdick
Administrator
wickedbeernut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a dumb question ... why doesn't the KX3 support the current month, day
> and year in conjunction with the KXBC3?  Is this a limitation of the KX3
> firmware or the KXBC3 real-time clock?  I've never heard of a real-time
> clock which didn't support the current month, day and year.  Most support
> leap year compensation and are valid through at least 2100.
>
> Joe
> KF5WBO

Hi Joe,

The KXBC3 uses a nano-power PIC MCU running our own firmware, not a real-time-clock IC. This MCU provides both the clock and charge-controller functions.

It would be possible to add support for date readout in the future. This is the first such request, but it's now on the wish-list.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 / KXBC3 NiMH Battery Charger and Real-Time Clock

Joe Stone (KF5WBO)
wayne burdick wrote
Hi Joe,

The KXBC3 uses a nano-power PIC MCU running our own firmware, not a real-time-clock IC. This MCU provides both the clock and charge-controller functions.

It would be possible to add support for date readout in the future. This is the first such request, but it's now on the wish-list.

73,
Wayne
N6KR
Thank you for the reply, Wayne.  And thank you for supporting the broader Elecraft community.

Let's start by adding basic logging support to the PX3 wish-list.  I'm simply trying to understand where the PX3 will get the date and time from.  The KX3 / KXBC3 is one option.  I did receive one report (privately) suggesting the KXBC3 loses up to three hours per month.  I haven't verified the accuracy of the KXBC3 myself.  Worst case, we periodically reset the date / time.  Of course, not everyone has a KXBC3.

I'm assuming PX3 logging support will require a new memory or microSD (preferred) "option board" connected via the existing PX3 40-pin SPI and I2C expansion interface.  It may make more sense to add a real-time clock IC with a lithium coin cell battery back-up to the new PX3 option board, rather than relying on the KX3 / KXBC3 for the date and time.

You gave us PX3 keyboard and message / macro support for free ... a $150 value.  Do yourself a favor ... build a PX3 microSD / real-time clock option board for peanuts and sell it for $79.95.  Cha-ching.  We'll install it ourselves.  Sell a new PX3 left side panel with an added microSD slot for $26.39.  Cha-ching, cha-ching.  And, keep pace with that new Japanese SDR in the area of microSD / logging.

Joe
KF5WBO