KX3 PSK31/RTTY/CW Accessory

Shel Radin KF0UR
Dear KX3 Community,

FYI...I just finished a homebrew project to enhance my PSK31/RTTY experience
with the KX3.

I love the innovative feature in the KX3 (and K3) where you can send and receive
PSK31 and RTTY while portable, without a computer. But I thought a nifty
enhancement would be to capture the 8 character scrolling characters on a bigger
screen so I could read a few sentences at a time, and not have to keep my eyes
glued to the screen. And while I was at it, I also thought it would be nice to
send using a keyboard instead of paddles.

So I made a device I call the "Data Depot" (until I think of a better name).
I've already made a number of PSK31 QSOs with it. All made possible with the
KX3's internal PSK31/RTTY decoding and it's set of commands available via the
serial port.

It does CW also, but since I actually like CW, I didn't focus on it :-).   For the KX3 or K3, it'll send CW thru the serial port as you type, or it has a relay inside to hook up to the key input of any rig.

Pictures can be found in the Yahoo group at:  I also added some at the bottom of this post, but this is my first time adding pics, so I'm hoping they get added OK.

The case it's in is nice, but it'll fit into a smaller case, if I can find the right one.

Here's what it does:

<General Features>
• Uses Sierra Radio's Hamstack Microcontroller Project Platform
• Power requirements: 9-15 VDC
• LCD brightness control
• At 9V, draws 16 ma with no LCD backlight (still readable in sunlight), 27 ma
with medium LCD backlight brightness, and up to 70 ma at max LCD backlight
brightness.
• Connects to the KX3 with a serial cable (simple 1/8" stereo cable)
• Connects to the K3 with a DB9 serial cable
• Automatically syncs with the KX3 or K3 no matter what RS232 baud rate is
selected in the rig

<Receiving>
• Displays data in real time, as it is decoded and presented by the rig.
• Most recent 80 characters displayed on the screen
• Automatically removes extra spaces within text, so more of the useful text is
displayed.
• Tap a button to freeze the display. A solid LED on indicates the display is
non-real-time
• Hold the same button to scroll back. Scrolls back approx.. 1 line per second,
to a maximum of 20 lines.
• Tap the button again to resume normal, real time display. LED is out.

<Transmitting>
• Uses a PS2 keyboard
• Starts transmitting whenever keys are pressed
• Stops automatically 4 seconds after the last character is sent (rig feature)
• Press the ESC key to terminate the transmission immediately

<Stored Messages>
• Stores 10 messages, 60 characters each using F1 – F10 on the keyboard
• Press F12 to enter the message edit mode, then select the F key you want to
edit/store. A flashing LED indicates you are in the edit message mode
• Type the message and press F12 again to save and exit
• Press ESC any time when in the edit mode to exit without saving
• Messages are stored in EEPROM, so they are non-volatile, and always there.
• Messages can be chained. Example: if CQ is stored in F1, pressing F1 twice
will send the entire message twice.

<How it was Packaged>
• Top panel
o 80 character LCD display
o Mode button (to freeze, scroll, edit)
o Mode status LED (OFF: normal, ON: Freeze/Scroll, BLINKING: message edit

• Rear panel
o 2.1 mm DC Power connector
o 3.5 mm (1/8") serial port connector (for KX3)
o DB-9 male serial port connector (for K3)
o PS2 keyboard connector
o System reset button
o LCD backlight brightness control

72/73, Shel KF0UR

Top viewPSK31 QSORear view

Re: KX3 PSK31/RTTY/CW Accessory

dr.diesel
Awesome work!

Are you planning to do a write-up with code so others can duplicate it?

Re: KX3 PSK31/RTTY/CW Accessory

Jim Rogers, W4ATK
I do not know how I missed this, but I agree. Nice Work!! Using the built in features of the K3 and coming up with a product much like NUE-PSK modem (www.nue-psk.com).

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KX3-PSK31-RTTY-CW-Accessory-td7559657.html#a7559669

Jim, W4ATK

On Jul 23, 2012, at 8:06 AM, dr.diesel wrote:

> Awesome work!
>
> Are you planning to do a write-up with code so others can duplicate it?

Re: KX3 PSK31/RTTY/CW Accessory

Shel Radin KF0UR
Working on the next step....pls stand by :-)