KX3 - Pass Band Tuning and Optional Roofing Filter

KX3 - Pass Band Tuning and Optional Roofing Filter

Bernard Wills
Hello from VK,

The news of the KX3 has stopped my meandering amongst various 80's and some modern HF rigs as I've been catching up with technology after about 15 years of inactivity until 2008. I am sizing up what it will cost to get a KX3 on air, and my current point of uncertainty (aside from no firm pricing announced) is how much adjustment there will be in the filtering in a standard KX3. By standard, I mean 'no optional roofing filter' with the specs listed in the announcement. I have followed all postings since the Dayton announcement, watched the video demo a number of times, and understand what roofing filters do. I have some experience with DC transceivers (think HW-8).

So as I see it, my question comes back to the mention of Pass Band Tuning. Will the PBT in a 'standard' KX3 provide a continuously variable bandwidth that would suit SSB, down to what I find useful for CW (say 500Hz)?

The reflector keeps feeding me digests which mostly I find of interest; very broad in its coverage. Thanks for providing it.

from Bernie VK2BLW.

Re: KX3 - Pass Band Tuning and Optional Roofing Filter

Don Wilhelm-4
Bernie,

As I understand it, the KX3 will provide DSP filtering, which (like the
K3) will be continuously variable from 3 kHz down to 100 Hz.

On 7/26/2011 2:59 AM, Bernard Wills wrote:
> Hello from VK,
>
> The news of the KX3 has stopped my meandering amongst various 80's and some modern HF rigs as I've been catching up with technology after about 15 years of inactivity until 2008. I am sizing up what it will cost to get a KX3 on air, and my current point of uncertainty (aside from no firm pricing announced) is how much adjustment there will be in the filtering in a standard KX3. By standard, I mean 'no optional roofing filter' with the specs listed in the announcement. I have followed all postings since the Dayton announcement, watched the video demo a number of times, and understand what roofing filters do. I have some experience with DC transceivers (think HW-8).
>

> So as I see it, my question comes back to the mention of Pass Band Tuning. Will the PBT in a 'standard' KX3 provide a continuously variable bandwidth that would suit SSB, down to what I find useful for CW (say 500Hz)?

Re: KX3 - Pass Band Tuning and Optional Roofing Filter

Bernard Wills
Thanks, Don.

I will speak with a local club member who has a K3 (and K2/100) and find out more. Some other postings received today have also helped me to see what is intended for the KX3 PBT/roofing filter arrangements. I've tried the IF-stage DSP in the Yaesu FT-450D. It has about three pre-set bandwidths per mode (CW and SSB anyway); continuous b/w obviously looks more attractive.

Cheers, Bernie. VK2BLW.