KX3 Rec'd today

Tex

KX3 Rec'd today

Tex
Received my KX3 ordered 2/17 serial # 1040.  Love the radio....  The only problem so far is the noise generated I guess generated by the encoder.  I tried removing the felt pad between the knob and the chassis and the noise is still there...?

73 Tex
ka5y

Re: KX3 Rec'd today

Andrew Moore-3
Tex - if you're referring to the scratchy mechanical noise that occurs when
you rotate the encoder even when the KX3 is powered off, it seems that can
be solved by carefully removing the main tuning knob (remove rubber sleeve
to access the hex screw opening), carefully removing the circlip and washer
from the shaft, and polishing/greasing them. There is no need to remove the
nut that secures the encoder.

Here's a post on the subject by Mike / W5EEA. I went through this process
myself and it cured the scratchy. I did not polish the circlip or attempt
to flatten the washer - I only applied some "fine polishing creme for all
metals" to each side of the washer and polished that with a Dremel tool,
then applied some white lithium grease to both sides and put it all back
together. Scratchy is about 95 percent gone.

Please be careful.. and obviously this is not an Elecraft-endorsed mod.

Mike's post follows.

73,
--Andrew, NV1B
..

---

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: KX3 encoder noise fix....for some
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 08:39:52 -0600

PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS FIX..unless you read this and think 'I have no
problem doing this'. There is every chance you will loose parts or make
things worse than they were (or may end up buying a new encoder).
 I found the scrapping/scratching stopped if you invert the radio and
turned the knob.
If you remove the knob you can see a "C" clip on the shaft over a washer
resting on the body of the encoder. On mine the noise was coming from the
surface finish between the washer and the clip. The washer rotates a little
each turn and that is why the noise does not happen at the same spot in the
rotation of the knob. Remove the washer and clip, make them flat and polish
them, put them back on with a good silicone grease and it feels like a K3
VFO. If you think SM parts are small you will never see what needs to be
done to the washer and clip.
 PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not stick a screwdriver in your had or ding up
your very nice new KX3 that works *just fine* without this fix if this is
not something that sounds easy for you to do. (I work at Lockheed where we
make some REALLY NICE little gizmos - that's where I got the 'practice' for
this kind work)

---

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM, pkhjr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Received my KX3 ordered 2/17 serial # 1040.  Love the radio....  The only
> problem so far is the noise generated I guess generated by the encoder.  I
> tried removing the felt pad between the knob and the chassis and the noise
> is still there...?
>
> 73 Tex
> ka5y

Re: KX3 Rec'd today

Don Wilhelm-4
The other "method" is to just ignore it and use it for a week or two
until it "wears in"
I thought mine was stiff and quirky when I first got it, but it is not
"smooth as silk" - there is still just sufficient drag to prevent the
knob from turning accidentally in a mobile of portable situation - just
a bit more drag than I use on my K2 or K3.

On 8/2/2012 7:20 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:

> Tex - if you're referring to the scratchy mechanical noise that occurs when
> you rotate the encoder even when the KX3 is powered off, it seems that can
> be solved by carefully removing the main tuning knob (remove rubber sleeve
> to access the hex screw opening), carefully removing the circlip and washer
> from the shaft, and polishing/greasing them. There is no need to remove the
> nut that secures the encoder.
>
> Here's a post on the subject by Mike / W5EEA. I went through this process
> myself and it cured the scratchy. I did not polish the circlip or attempt
> to flatten the washer - I only applied some "fine polishing creme for all
> metals" to each side of the washer and polished that with a Dremel tool,
> then applied some white lithium grease to both sides and put it all back
> together. Scratchy is about 95 percent gone.
>
> Please be careful.. and obviously this is not an Elecraft-endorsed mod.

Re: KX3 Rec'd today

Robert Vargas (KP4Y)
I was notified today that my KX3 is on the way, yeah! I know that I will like it the same way I like my K3, but when I hear issues like this and the case vibration, I wonder if I made a good decision. Are these issues not getting worked out at factory as we speak? At near $1,400 for a QRP rig, this is an expensive toy as to be needing this type of "home made fixes"

73's
Robert - KP4Y

Sent from Samsung tabletAndrew Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:Tex - if you're referring to the scratchy mechanical noise that occurs when

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 08:39:52 -0600

PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS FIX..unless you read this and think 'I have no
problem doing this'. There is every chance you will loose parts or make
things worse than they were (or may end up buying a new encoder).
I found the scrapping/scratching stopped if you invert the radio and
turned the knob.
If you remove the knob you can see a "C" clip on the shaft over a washer
resting on the body of the encoder. On mine the noise was coming from the
surface finish between the washer and the clip. The washer rotates a little
each turn and that is why the noise does not happen at the same spot in the
rotation of the knob. Remove the washer and clip, make them flat and polish
them, put them back on with a good silicone grease and it feels like a K3
VFO. If you think SM parts are small you will never see what needs to be
done to the washer and clip.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not stick a screwdriver in your had or ding up
your very nice new KX3 that works *just fine* without this fix if this is
not something that sounds easy for you to do. (I work at Lockheed where we
make some REALLY NICE little gizmos - that's where I got the 'practice' for
this kind work)

---

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM, pkhjr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Received my KX3 ordered 2/17 serial # 1040.  Love the radio....  The only
> problem so far is the noise generated I guess generated by the encoder.  I
> tried removing the felt pad between the knob and the chassis and the noise
> is still there...?
>
> 73 Tex
> ka5y

Re: KX3 Rec'd today

John Strandberg
Robert -  I've been a little bit wondering same as you.  It would appear my
KX3 will ship some weeks from now.  There have been over 1000 shipped now.
 I wonder if this is just low level reflector static or if the 'issues' are
significant.  Unlike you, I also want but don't own a K3.

73 John W4DX

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM, kp4y <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> them, put them back on with a good silicone grease and it feels like a K3
> VFO. If you think SM parts are small you will never see what needs to be
> done to the washer and clip.
> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not stick a screwdriver in your had or ding up
> your very nice new KX3 that works *just fine* without this fix if this is
> not something that sounds easy for you to do. (I work at Lockheed where we
> make some REALLY NICE little gizmos - that's where I got the 'practice' for
> this kind work)
>
> ---
>

> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM, pkhjr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Received my KX3 ordered 2/17 serial # 1040.  Love the radio....  The only
> > problem so far is the noise generated I guess generated by the encoder.
> > tried removing the felt pad between the knob and the chassis and the

Re: KX3 Rec'd today

Don Wilhelm-4
John,

Please be assured that all valid issues will be addressed by Elecraft.
There have been some posts that speak to operator errors, but for those
that address real failures, they will be addressed.

If you have specific concerns, please feel free to post them here to the
Elecraft reflector, you should receive a response - if that response is
from someone like me who had been "*associated* with Elecraft since
1999, it may reflect Elecraft operating policies that I have been
accustomed to, but not necessarily an "official" response.  Other items
are fair game - including "why does the K2 that I am currently working
on fail the PLL Reference test" that I will be attacking tomorrow.

The lack of specifics in your post just causes the "low level static" to
be increased.  We can respond to specific questions, but the "low level
static" must remain just that because it does not address any specific
condition.

59 PM, ohn Strandberg wrote:

> [...]
>> them, put them back on with a good silicone grease and it feels like a K3
>> VFO. If you think SM parts are small you will never see what needs to be
>> done to the washer and clip.
>> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not stick a screwdriver in your had or ding up
>> your very nice new KX3 that works *just fine* without this fix if this is
>> not something that sounds easy for you to do. (I work at Lockheed where we
>> make some REALLY NICE little gizmos - that's where I got the 'practice' for
>> this kind work)
>>
>> ---
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM, pkhjr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Received my KX3 ordered 2/17 serial # 1040.  Love the radio....  The only
>>> problem so far is the noise generated I guess generated by the encoder.
>>> tried removing the felt pad between the knob and the chassis and the

Re: KX3 Rec'd today

Andrew Moore-3
Personally I don't think they're significant issues, especially when I
consider what Elecraft was able to pack into this small, lightweight form.

They also have a record of going back to address problems and improve
features that can use it (CW+ mode, for example).

The KX3 continues to amaze me. I love this rig. It's a blend of
performance, simplicity, efficiency and packaging and UI that I've wanted
for decades. And it will be even better when the battery charger, 2 meter
module and 100 W amp are available.

--Andrew, NV1B
..

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM, John Strandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Robert -  I've been a little bit wondering same as you.  It would appear my
> KX3 will ship some weeks from now.  There have been over 1000 shipped now.
>  I wonder if this is just low level reflector static or if the 'issues' are
> significant.  Unlike you, I also want but don't own a K3.
>
> 73 John W4DX

Re: KX3 Rec'd today

John Strandberg
Don & Andrew,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the much appreciated
information.  I have been following Elecraft and its product line since
2009 and developed a strong desire to own an Elecraft radio.  I had pretty
much settled on idea of building the K2 at the first of 2012.  The K2 would
provide me with a lot of new HF experiences including finally getting to
own an Elecaft.  The eventual goal is to have the K3 in the shack and the
K2 for portable, other operating locations and backup.  The release of the
KX3 through a  curve ball.  I went back and forth K2 vs KX3 for the first 6
months of the year.  Finally in June, the KX3 became the overwhelming
choice and the order was placed.  I am really looking forward to this radio
and all the new capabilities I'll get to explore.

In watching the reflector, I've gained more insight into the level of
knowledge, experience and realtime Elecraft support.  I certainly
recognized many issues were quickly acknowledged/addressed and that build
issues are quite often builder-related (I'm going try to make mental effort
to slow myself down during the build).  Instead of listing any questions I
might have had (all in the past have been addressed and anything current I
sure will be taken care of), I'm going the let my ambiguous 'low level
static' comment drift away.

I am really impressed with the support and information made readily
available in the Elecraft community.  A friend of mine had a recent problem
with his K2 PA.  With help from the reflector and Eleccraft tech support,
he repaired it himself and a very short time. Don, I think you helped with
that one.  So, good luck with your K2 endeavor and have fun.

Thanks and 73
John W4DX