[KX3] Screwdriver Antenna Tuning ??

Phil Hystad-3
The KX3 surely looks like a nice mobile rig that may replace my IC-706....

But, I would need a good screwdriver antenna tuning interface.  Currently, I use the Turbo-Tuner by N2VZ which is fitted to the IC-706 tune control.  I have a Hi-Q 4/80 antenna mounted on my pickup truck.

So, several questions:

1.  Would there be a tune control interface on the KX3?
2.  Would Elecraft consider building a screwdriver antenna interface?

Just to be clear on what I mean by screwdriver antenna interface --- a device that uses the transmitter's tune control circuit to switch on a low power signal and measure the SWR (usually via reflected voltage) and switch on the screwdriver antenna drive motor adjusting the center loading coil tap until a minimum SWR (under 1.5:1) is reached where it turns off the drive motor and turns off the transmitter's low power signal.

I guess if Elecraft did not come out with a screwdriver antenna interface that some talented electronics guru on this forum might do so.

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [KX3] Screwdriver Antenna Tuning ??

wayne burdick
Administrator
We've already provided the needed hardware for this in the KX3, so an
interface could be supported. It may take some time to add the needed
control firmware.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On May 27, 2011, at 8:19 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> The KX3 surely looks like a nice mobile rig that may replace my
> IC-706....
>
> But, I would need a good screwdriver antenna tuning interface.
> Currently, I use the Turbo-Tuner by N2VZ which is fitted to the
> IC-706 tune control.  I have a Hi-Q 4/80 antenna mounted on my
> pickup truck.
>
> So, several questions:
>
> 1.  Would there be a tune control interface on the KX3?
> 2.  Would Elecraft consider building a screwdriver antenna interface?
>
> Just to be clear on what I mean by screwdriver antenna interface ---
> a device that uses the transmitter's tune control circuit to switch
> on a low power signal and measure the SWR (usually via reflected
> voltage) and switch on the screwdriver antenna drive motor adjusting
> the center loading coil tap until a minimum SWR (under 1.5:1) is
> reached where it turns off the drive motor and turns off the
> transmitter's low power signal.
>
> I guess if Elecraft did not come out with a screwdriver antenna
> interface that some talented electronics guru on this forum might do
> so.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [KX3] Screwdriver Antenna Tuning ??

Phil Hystad-3
Wayne,

Thanks for the quick response.  Would the KX3 control interface be command oriented or some voltage controlled signaling interface?  Also, in asking this question I am stretching my understanding of how such an interface would work so if I am off base I welcome correction.

73, phil, K7PEH

On May 27, 2011, at 9:22 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> We've already provided the needed hardware for this in the KX3, so an interface could be supported. It may take some time to add the needed control firmware.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> On May 27, 2011, at 8:19 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>
>> The KX3 surely looks like a nice mobile rig that may replace my IC-706....
>>
>> But, I would need a good screwdriver antenna tuning interface.  Currently, I use the Turbo-Tuner by N2VZ which is fitted to the IC-706 tune control.  I have a Hi-Q 4/80 antenna mounted on my pickup truck.
>>
>> So, several questions:
>>
>> 1.  Would there be a tune control interface on the KX3?
>> 2.  Would Elecraft consider building a screwdriver antenna interface?
>>
>> Just to be clear on what I mean by screwdriver antenna interface --- a device that uses the transmitter's tune control circuit to switch on a low power signal and measure the SWR (usually via reflected voltage) and switch on the screwdriver antenna drive motor adjusting the center loading coil tap until a minimum SWR (under 1.5:1) is reached where it turns off the drive motor and turns off the transmitter's low power signal.
>>
>> I guess if Elecraft did not come out with a screwdriver antenna interface that some talented electronics guru on this forum might do so.
>>
>> 73, phil, K7PEH

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [KX3] Screwdriver Antenna Tuning ??

wayne burdick
Administrator
Logic drive signals (up/down). You'd have a special TUNE mode that
would bypass the internal ATU, if present, then adjust the antennas
while watching for lowest SWR. All a small matter of programming in
the KX3 itself. But the drive signals would need suitable buffering.

73,
Wayne
N6KR