KX3 Skeeter Hunt Fun

Bill Gerth
Yesterday, K9ZTV, Kent and I used Kent's KX3 to activate N0SS for the
inaugural run of the NJQRP Skeeter Hunt.  The Mid-MO Amateur Radio
Club is now the holder of Tom Hammond's (SK) callsign N0SS.  It was a
real honor for us to put N0SS on the air again for a QRP event using
Elecraft rigs.  As many of you know, Tom was an avid QRPer and
Elecraft Field Tester before his death almost exactly a year ago.

The KX3 performed admirably from our site in the tall pines in the
Mark Twain National Forest.  This kind of outing is just what the
doctor ordered to show off the KX3.  We were able to work just about
anyone we could hear, including a few European DX stations.  We used
an 84 ft. wire in the trees with a variable counterpoise to the BNC-to-
binding post adapter.  The KX3 ATU didn't even flinch.  The 2.3 AH
LiFePO4 battery was still over 13 volts after 4 hours of continuous use.

TNX to W2LJ for running the Skeeter Hunt.  We're already looking
forward to next year!

73,

BILL GERTH, W4RK
Jefferson City, MO