KX3: Sorry, YouTube video removed

Andrew Moore-3
In case you're looking for it...

Steve/G4GXL has asked that I immediately remove the YouTube video that I
made by holding my iPhone up to the screen to capture his recording and
broadcast of Wayne/N6KR giving an overview of the KX3, stating that "it is
not yours to copy."

While my intention was to let those who missed it be able to see the
last-minute presentation on this newly-announced product, I feel I must
respect Steve's stance as he was the creator of the work.

Steve & Wayne - thank you again for working together on this presentation of
an exciting and innovative product.

73,
--Andrew, NV1B

Re: KX3: Sorry, YouTube video removed

Rick Prather-2
Oh brother!

What?  Is he planning on syndicating it?

Rick
K6LE

On 5/20/2011, at 9:10 , Andrew Moore wrote:

> In case you're looking for it...
>
> Steve/G4GXL has asked that I immediately remove the YouTube video that I
> made by holding my iPhone up to the screen to capture his recording and
> broadcast of Wayne/N6KR giving an overview of the KX3, stating that "it is
> not yours to copy."
>
> While my intention was to let those who missed it be able to see the
> last-minute presentation on this newly-announced product, I feel I must
> respect Steve's stance as he was the creator of the work.
>
> Steve & Wayne - thank you again for working together on this presentation of
> an exciting and innovative product.
>
> 73,
> --Andrew, NV1B

Re: KX3: Sorry, YouTube video removed

GREG WILSON
That's pretty selfish of the G...  Perhaps he thinks he is going to receive
an Emmy for his "production" work?!  Good grief.  I was looking forward to
seeing what you were able to record.  I have to say that Elecraft did not
plan very well for the many who cannot be at Dayton but who have just as
much interest in the new product -- in my opinion they should have prepared
a YouTube video to coincide with the introduction at Dayton -- or at least
had the website ready to satisfy the interest of all of their customers.  73
de Greg-N4CC (owner of 2 K3's)

Re: KX3: Sorry, YouTube video removed

Wayne Conrad
I am not a lawyer, and I don't even play one on TV...  As I understand
it, a copyright you do not vigorously defend can become indefensible as
a result.  Imagine someone using your video inappropriately (or even
with ill intent) and you having no way to put a stop to it because you
let prior, innocent violations of copyright slide.

Wayne Conrad (bathing in Morse for that fresh, clean feeling)

On 05/20/2011 10:03 PM, Greg wrote:
> That's pretty selfish of the G...  Perhaps he thinks he is going to receive
> an Emmy for his "production" work?!

Re: KX3: Sorry, YouTube video removed

Jim Low man
A 10-minute+ video is available on the ARCI website of Wayne's KX3 demo.
Maybe that's the reason that it was asked that it be taken down.

I don't know the legalities involved, or who would have ownership of
such a presentation.
If anyone, I would think that it would be Elecraft to make that call.
Unless there's some stipulation regarding photos/video on the property,
I'd think that anything would be fair game.

But, since ARCI was so quick to post the demo on their website, I think
we can safely assume that there was no conspiracy theory or profit
motive on the part of ARCI.

Might be nice for someone to make an official statement about this.

72/73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 5/21/2011 6:35 AM, Wayne Conrad wrote:

> I am not a lawyer, and I don't even play one on TV...  As I understand
> it, a copyright you do not vigorously defend can become indefensible as
> a result.  Imagine someone using your video inappropriately (or even
> with ill intent) and you having no way to put a stop to it because you
> let prior, innocent violations of copyright slide.
>
> Wayne Conrad (bathing in Morse for that fresh, clean feeling)
>
> On 05/20/2011 10:03 PM, Greg wrote:
>> That's pretty selfish of the G...  Perhaps he thinks he is going to receive
>> an Emmy for his "production" work?!

Re: KX3: Sorry, YouTube video removed

Andrew Moore-3
No; G4GXL asked me to take it down simply because "it wasn't yours to copy"
(and I assume because he planned to post it later) -- despite my good
intentions aimed at letting those who missed the live stream be able to see
it.

While I'm disappointed in his unwillingness to let it slide for the good of
Elecraft and the ham community, I'm sure he's disappointed in the fact that
I recorded his recording without asking him first.

Bottom line: It's his work, so I believe he gets to make the call.  No
grudges here, I'm grateful to him for helping to make it happen, and for
Wayne to take the time to give the overview.

His recording is certainly better quality than mine :)

We're approaching off-topic so many best to end the thread.

73,
--Andrew, NV1B