[KX3] Speaker Grille?

N6JW
What is the latest on the use of the supplied speaker grille cloth
for the KX3?

Have any of you gone ahead and used the grille, despite the
recent instructions to do otherwise?  Distortion?

Given field use, I would like (if possible) to use the grille cloth
to keep bugs and metal bits out.  But, having built a K1, K2,
and K-Line, I am loath to go against the instructions :)

Thanks for any replies/advise,

73

John, N6JW

Re: [KX3] Speaker Grille?

Don Wilhelm-4
John,

If you have the skills and where-with-all to glue your speaker grill
cloth to the KX3 enclosure  (not the speaker) without creating a mess,
then you have "the cure".  The original allowed the grill cloth to
rattle against the speaker cone on some units and created distortion.

The concern for releasing this to the general public has to do with
individual skills in handling glue on the enclosure speaker web holes -
too much makes a mess, while too little is ineffective.

On 6/29/2012 7:25 PM, N6JW wrote:

> What is the latest on the use of the supplied speaker grille cloth
> for the KX3?
>
> Have any of you gone ahead and used the grille, despite the
> recent instructions to do otherwise?  Distortion?
>
> Given field use, I would like (if possible) to use the grille cloth
> to keep bugs and metal bits out.  But, having built a K1, K2,
> and K-Line, I am loath to go against the instructions :)
>
> Thanks for any replies/advise,
>
> 73
>
> John, N6JW

Re: [KX3] Speaker Grille?

Scott Monks
Hi all;
    What about spray-on rubber cement from places like office supply stores?

    You would need to do some masking to keep the cement just below the grill and maybe some on the grill
itself to make sure it doesn't get in the area of the openings (assuming the KX3 is like the K3--mine hasn't come yet) but this would also let you take the screen off later for some reason if needed.

73s
Scott  XE1/AA0AA; AA0AA

Re: [KX3] Speaker Grill cloth install

Arthur Nienhouse
/*Would the thin double sided sticky tap (3m) used to hold in place
window film work?
Do a search for ....WindowInsulatorKits.

Regards
Art
ka9zap

*/