KX3 Stability

W7CS
I think that the external or internal locking to a stable 10 MHz
source is probably of a higher priority for UHF and Microwave users,
as well as JT65 and other EME'rs, than a less than highly stable
internal 2M xvrtr.  A small, external phase locked LO, 2M xvrtr box
or module, that can be driven by the common 10MHz stable source, is
also doable.  This also has the advantage that if 2 M is not
immediately needed it can be turned off, or left a home, in the
interest of power savings .

  I've bought some 10 MHz double oven OCXO modules from an offshore
surplus dealer, with good results, for $38 shipped.  They claim 2 X10
-12 and the brand name is C-Max.  Ideal for phase locked LOs.

Google "Flyingbest's Equipment" (also on EBay)  for a list of their
sale items.  Delivery has been less than 10 days.

Chuck,  W7CS

KX3 Shipment notification

Keith Heimbold
I am so stoked!  I received a few hours ago notification that my KX3 is arriving soon.

I am so looking forward to taking it with me wherever I go. It may help me pass the time when my wife is in labor at the hospital if it arrives soon (she is due two weeks from today). Just need to figure out where i can install the antenna in the maternity ward at Sharp Rees Stealy woman and baby hospital.

Thanks Elecraft!!!

Keith
AG6AZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

On Jul 17, 2012, at 2:51 PM, "Chuck Smallhouse" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think that the external or internal locking to a stable 10 MHz
> source is probably of a higher priority for UHF and Microwave users,
> as well as JT65 and other EME'rs, than a less than highly stable
> internal 2M xvrtr.  A small, external phase locked LO, 2M xvrtr box
> or module, that can be driven by the common 10MHz stable source, is
> also doable.  This also has the advantage that if 2 M is not
> immediately needed it can be turned off, or left a home, in the
> interest of power savings .
>
>  I've bought some 10 MHz double oven OCXO modules from an offshore
> surplus dealer, with good results, for $38 shipped.  They claim 2 X10
> -12 and the brand name is C-Max.  Ideal for phase locked LOs.
>
> Google "Flyingbest's Equipment" (also on EBay)  for a list of their
> sale items.  Delivery has been less than 10 days.
>
> Chuck,  W7CS

Re: KX3 Shipment notification

Joe K2UF
Erik,

You may want to save the bubble wrap.  When you finish the KX3 wrap it in
the bubble wrap.  It may not hurt as much when your wife beats you with it
;o)

73  Joe  K2UF

No trees were harmed in the sending of this e-mail; however, many electrons
were inconvenienced.

I am so stoked!  I received a few hours ago notification that my KX3 is
arriving soon.

I am so looking forward to taking it with me wherever I go. It may help me
pass the time when my wife is in labor at the hospital if it arrives soon
(she is due two weeks from today). Just need to figure out where i can
install the antenna in the maternity ward at Sharp Rees Stealy woman and
baby hospital.

Thanks Elecraft!!!

Keith
AG6AZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

On Jul 17, 2012, at 2:51 PM, "Chuck Smallhouse" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think that the external or internal locking to a stable 10 MHz
> source is probably of a higher priority for UHF and Microwave users,
> as well as JT65 and other EME'rs, than a less than highly stable
> internal 2M xvrtr.  A small, external phase locked LO, 2M xvrtr box
> or module, that can be driven by the common 10MHz stable source, is
> also doable.  This also has the advantage that if 2 M is not
> immediately needed it can be turned off, or left a home, in the
> interest of power savings .
>
>  I've bought some 10 MHz double oven OCXO modules from an offshore
> surplus dealer, with good results, for $38 shipped.  They claim 2 X10
> -12 and the brand name is C-Max.  Ideal for phase locked LOs.
>
> Google "Flyingbest's Equipment" (also on EBay)  for a list of their
> sale items.  Delivery has been less than 10 days.
>
> Chuck,  W7CS

Re: KX3 Shipment notification

Keith Heimbold
All-

Update:  baby is still in the oven and KX3 shipment is due to arrive Friday. Just received UPS notification. Maybe our new baby boy and my new KX3 will arrive on same day. That would be awesome!

Keith

On Jul 17, 2012, at 3:56 PM, "Joe K2UF" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Erik,
>
> You may want to save the bubble wrap.  When you finish the KX3 wrap it in
> the bubble wrap.  It may not hurt as much when your wife beats you with it
> ;o)
>
> 73  Joe  K2UF
>
> No trees were harmed in the sending of this e-mail; however, many electrons
> were inconvenienced.

W7GJ, Lance
Keith, I wouldn't suggest to your XYL that they are both in the same "awesome"
class!  They both have been in the oven about the same length of time, though ....
;-) GL Friday!  VY 73, Lance

On 7/18/2012 11:34 PM, Keith Heimbold wrote:

> All-
>
> Update:  baby is still in the oven and KX3 shipment is due to arrive Friday. Just received UPS notification. Maybe our new baby boy and my new KX3 will arrive on same day. That would be awesome!
>
> Keith
>
> Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos
>
> On Jul 17, 2012, at 3:56 PM, "Joe K2UF" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Erik,
>>
>> You may want to save the bubble wrap.  When you finish the KX3 wrap it in
>> the bubble wrap.  It may not hurt as much when your wife beats you with it
>> ;o)
>>
>> 73  Joe  K2UF
>>
>> No trees were harmed in the sending of this e-mail; however, many electrons
>> were inconvenienced.

Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: KX3 Shipment notification

Phil LaMarche-2
Smile!

Philip LaMarche

727-944-3226
727-510-5038 Cell
 www.w9dvm.com
WWW.FLAMGROUP.COM

K3 # 1605
KPA500 # 029
P3 #1480

 CCA 98-00827
CRA 1701
W9DVM

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ) P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME email
group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web page (above)!

Re: KX3 Shipment notification

alsopb
Just think. If products were priced on a $/watt basis, scaling up the
KX3 price would yield a price of >10K for the K3-100.

73 DE Brian/K3KO

On 7/18/2012 23:42, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:

> Keith, I wouldn't suggest to your XYL that they are both in the same "awesome"
> class!  They both have been in the oven about the same length of time, though ....
> ;-) GL Friday!  VY 73, Lance
>

> On 7/18/2012 11:34 PM, Keith Heimbold wrote:
>> All-
>>
>> Update:  baby is still in the oven and KX3 shipment is due to arrive Friday. Just received UPS notification. Maybe our new baby boy and my new KX3 will arrive on same day. That would be awesome!
>>
>> Keith
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos
>>
>> On Jul 17, 2012, at 3:56 PM, "Joe K2UF"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Erik,
>>>
>>> You may want to save the bubble wrap.  When you finish the KX3 wrap it in
>>> the bubble wrap.  It may not hurt as much when your wife beats you with it
>>> ;o)
>>>
>>> 73  Joe  K2UF
>>>
>>> No trees were harmed in the sending of this e-mail; however, many electrons
>>> were inconvenienced.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: KX3 Shipment notification

Keith Heimbold
Glad Elecraft figured out some economies of scale in that regard.

On Jul 18, 2012, at 4:51 PM, "Brian Alsop" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just think. If products were priced on a $/watt basis, scaling up the
> KX3 price would yield a price of >10K for the K3-100.
>
> 73 DE Brian/K3KO
>
> On 7/18/2012 23:42, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
>> Keith, I wouldn't suggest to your XYL that they are both in the same "awesome"
>> class!  They both have been in the oven about the same length of time, though ....
>> ;-) GL Friday!  VY 73, Lance
>>

>> On 7/18/2012 11:34 PM, Keith Heimbold wrote:
>>> All-
>>>
>>> Update:  baby is still in the oven and KX3 shipment is due to arrive Friday. Just received UPS notification. Maybe our new baby boy and my new KX3 will arrive on same day. That would be awesome!
>>>
>>> Keith
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

k6dgw
Many years ago, $/watt actually *was* a measure used in evaluating
transmitters [they were all either transmitters or receivers then, until
Art Collins invented the KWM-2].  Transmitters all sort of followed the
same architectural pattern and were not what you might today call
"feature-rich."  "Press the key, make RF."  Bandswitching was a feature
compared to plug-in coils.  Menus hadn't been invented either.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

On 7/18/2012 4:51 PM, Brian Alsop wrote:
> Just think. If products were priced on a $/watt basis, scaling up the
> KX3 price would yield a price of >10K for the K3-100.
>
> 73 DE Brian/K3KO

Re: KX3 Shipment notification

Andrew Moore-3
You'll have to name the new kiddo Wayne or Eric!

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Keith Heimbold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All-
>
> Update:  baby is still in the oven and KX3 shipment is due to arrive
> Friday. Just received UPS notification. Maybe our new baby boy and my new
> KX3 will arrive on same day. That would be awesome!
>
> Keith

Re: KX3 Shipment notification

Keith Heimbold
We got the first name picked out but middle name still eludes us. Not a bad idea.  Maybe Wayric.

On Jul 18, 2012, at 5:17 PM, "Andrew Moore" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You'll have to name the new kiddo Wayne or Eric!
>

> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Keith Heimbold <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All-
>
> Update:  baby is still in the oven and KX3 shipment is due to arrive Friday. Just received UPS notification. Maybe our new baby boy and my new KX3 will arrive on same day. That would be awesome!
>
> Keith

Re: KX3 Shipment notification

Jim Low man
Features of the new transceivers are nice, but there's something to be
said for the simplicity of the old boatanchors.
Receivers and transmitters had similar controls, with similar names,
across many manufacturers.
This was handy at a club station, Field Day or a multi-radio contest effort.
None of this "having the manual open at all times" back then.

73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 7/18/2012 5:05 PM, Fred Jensen wrote:

> Many years ago, $/watt actually *was* a measure used in evaluating
> transmitters [they were all either transmitters or receivers then, until
> Art Collins invented the KWM-2].  Transmitters all sort of followed the
> same architectural pattern and were not what you might today call
> "feature-rich."  "Press the key, make RF."  Bandswitching was a feature
> compared to plug-in coils.  Menus hadn't been invented either.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
> - www.cqp.org

Re: KX3 Shipment notification

wayne burdick
If it's a girl: Ellie  (as in Ellie-craft :)

Wayne

On Jul 18, 2012, at 5:16 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:

> You'll have to name the new kiddo Wayne or Eric!
>

> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Keith Heimbold <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> All-
>>
>> Update:  baby is still in the oven and KX3 shipment is due to arrive
>> Friday. Just received UPS notification. Maybe our new baby boy and
>> my new
>> KX3 will arrive on same day. That would be awesome!
>>
>> Keith

Re: KX3 Shipment notification

Bill K9YEQ
If a boy:  Wayne, Eric or Bill!  :-)  The latter is preferred, of course.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

On 7/18/2012 6:48 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
> Sure, but the "transceiver" goes way back into the 1930's, long before Art
> Collins.

Yep, and there was also the KWM-1.  None of these truly became popular
in the sense of "all over the place," and none of them hastened the
transition to SSB like the KWM-2 did.  Tuning SSB on a receiver was
hard, and then getting your transmit freq zero beat was daunting at
first, and still hard even as SSB caught on.

The KWM-2A [same rig with a second crystal deck], became the HF
workhorse of the US military [and I know several others too] in the
60's/70's.  Unbelievably sturdy and survivable, we pulled 42 of them out
the back of low flying C-130's that snagged our LAPES cable, and 42 of
them worked and JJY was exactly where it should be.

Our mission rules called for us to turn each pair [2 per mission], along
with the rest of the gear, to slag puddles with thermite before we were
recovered.  Team of 25, 3 hams, really really hard. :-((

It wasn't the first transceiver, or the only, but it, and the S-line
which would also transceive, probably changed ham radio as much as the
transition from spark to CW.  Now, we take it for granted, we have
"radios" and they go both ways.  I always meant to write to Art and tell
him how sturdy his transceiver was.  Alas, never had time while there,
and by the time I came home, I was marrying Andrea, there followed the
usual kids, and I never got around to it.  Then, he died.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: KX3 Shipment notification

Gary Gregory
*That is in 'Bill' from Elecraft for the NEXT must have item right?

Gary
*
On 19 July 2012 11:35, Bill K9YEQ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If a boy:  Wayne, Eric or Bill!  :-)  The latter is preferred, of course.
>
> 73,
> Bill
> K9YEQ

*Gary*
*"If you don't know where you are going you will probably end up somewhere
else."*