KX3 - Wayne's presentation at kit building forum in Dayton

KX3 - Wayne's presentation at kit building forum in Dayton

Rick Stealey

So I attended a couple forums at Dayton Friday morning.  Don't ask me why
except it was a promise I made to myself a year ago to try to do something
to enhance my brain rather than sit in the flea market selling a broken
Vibroplex bug and 10 year old HT.  So first was the QRP forum, where a
presenter described some QRP kits and announced that Elecraft had a new
KX3 - a marriage of the KX1 and K3.  That really got my attention, especially
since Wayne was on the agenda for the next forum on kit building.  The balance
of the QRP forum was at the "square one" level, hard to stay awake.
The kit building forum had 3 speakers, and the first two continued at the
"square one level" (as in "square one" = absolute beginner level).  One of
the talks actually lasted 20 minutes on the topic of building a single
PCB, 8 resistor switched attenuator.  How low have we sunk, technically?
Then Wayne came on with a LEVEL 10 presentation on all the features of the new
KX3.  Words cannot describe.  This guy is the most modest, polite, gentleman,
and absolute GENIUS in the ham radio world today!  I told him later in the
Elecraft booth - "You guys are kicking major A** in the ham radio world."
Ham radio history is being made today, right before our eyes.  The stuff
Elecraft is doing today is arguably as significant as the introduction of
the SSB transceiver back about 1958.  Two minutes with Wayne one-on-one
(as I have done three years in a row now) is the highlight of my annual
trip to Dayton!
Rick  K2XT