KX3 and Juma PA100-D linear

Dave KD1NA
Everyone,
On the Juma linear I am using with my KX3 I have received comments from the
e-mail forum about the unpublished 3rd order IMD specifications of the Juma
PA100-D linear amp. Well I did some testing with my limited equipment at my
station and I measured the following:

KX3 running 5 watts out -35db third order IMD

KX3 driving the Juma PA100-D linear with 100 watts out -28db third order
imd.

Because the exciter (KX3) has a very good but not perfect output I would
assume that it would effect the accuracy of the linear's output IMD
measurment. Any comments

73
Dave KD1NA

Re: KX3 and Juma PA100-D linear

Fred Townsend

David: Who are you going to believe? Me or your lying eyes? (;

While it is highly desirable to use a clean exciter, The only way a clean
exciter can make a bad amp better is to enclose the amp in a feedback loop
originating in the PA and terminating in the exciter. This can be done in a
rig such as the K3/100 where both the amp and exciter are in the same box
but is near impossible where you are dealing with 2 separate boxes.
Simply: If the Juma is broke, the KX3 can't fix it.

73

Fred, AE6QL