KX3 and KPA500

Carlson David
I got my KX3 working with my KPA500 thanks to help from Wayne N6KR and Adrian. The keying output at the KX3 is on the ring, not the tip of the ACC2. The manual is wrong but it is corrected in the manual errata which I didn't notice. I am getting almost 200 watts out from the KPA500 with 12 watts input from the KX3.

I plan on installing the KX3 in my SUV with a small amp. I also will be using my iPad as a spectrum scope connected to the KX3 which should be a great mobile installation. I will have it setup so I can easily remove the KX3 and run portable if I choose.

Thanks for the help.

Dave WA6DKN

Re: KX3 and KPA500

Don Wilhelm-4
This is a classic example of the results and frustration caused by
ignoring the Errata Sheet.
Do read that first and make the appropriate mark-ups in your manual - i
is essential to keeping your sanity and producing good results with your
new KX3.

On 6/10/2012 9:21 PM, Carlson David wrote:
> I got my KX3 working with my KPA500 thanks to help from Wayne N6KR and Adrian. The keying output at the KX3 is on the ring, not the tip of the ACC2. The manual is wrong but it is corrected in the manual errata which I didn't notice. I am getting almost 200 watts out from the KPA500 with 12 watts input from the KX3.
>
> I plan on installing the KX3 in my SUV with a small amp. I also will be using my iPad as a spectrum scope connected to the KX3 which should be a great mobile installation. I will have it setup so I can easily remove the KX3 and run portable if I choose.

Re: KX3 and KPA500

Jim Brown-10
On 6/10/2012 6:34 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
> This is a classic example of the results and frustration caused by
> ignoring the Errata Sheet.

Yes, BUT -- with modern desktop publishing, it is trivially easy for a
decent technical writer to keep a pdf up to date. I have several dozen
tutorials online as pdf files, and I can edit the source file, save it
as a pdf, and upload it to my website in an hour.  If I can do that,
Elecraft should be able to do that.  It's equally easy for that pdf to
include a running list of changes and additions as an appendix.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: KX3 and KPA500

wayne burdick
Administrator
The latest errata are always available on our manual download page for
each product.

On Jun 10, 2012, at 7:34 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On 6/10/2012 6:34 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> This is a classic example of the results and frustration caused by
>> ignoring the Errata Sheet.
>
> Yes, BUT -- with modern desktop publishing, it is trivially easy for a
> decent technical writer to keep a pdf up to date. I have several dozen
> tutorials online as pdf files, and I can edit the source file, save it
> as a pdf, and upload it to my website in an hour.  If I can do that,
> Elecraft should be able to do that.  It's equally easy for that pdf to
> include a running list of changes and additions as an appendix.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: KX3 and KPA500

Jim Rogers, W4ATK
Now all we need to do is invent a paper that remotely responds to changes in the document at the source. Jim, are you working on that??

On Jun 10, 2012, at 9:34 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On 6/10/2012 6:34 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> This is a classic example of the results and frustration caused by
>> ignoring the Errata Sheet.
>
> Yes, BUT -- with modern desktop publishing, it is trivially easy for a
> decent technical writer to keep a pdf up to date. I have several dozen
> tutorials online as pdf files, and I can edit the source file, save it
> as a pdf, and upload it to my website in an hour.  If I can do that,
> Elecraft should be able to do that.  It's equally easy for that pdf to
> include a running list of changes and additions as an appendix.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: KX3 and KPA500

Yes, updating of on-line pdf manuals is easy and trivial, but what does
Elecraft do when 100 manuals have been printed and have to be updated -
open them and pencil in the changes?  I think not - Errata sheets are
the only practical method.