KX3 birdie for my other radios

Stan AE7UT
Just built and have used my KX3 for a week now.
Yes I'm loving it and am already thinking of selling my Orion II for a K3.

BUT.... when listening with a couple of other radio I'm hearing a pretty strong
signal being put out by the KX3 700 kz above the KX3 tuned frequency.
I just aligned the filters and am thinking it must be something I left on during
that.  It only is there with CW.
It is easily seen on my Orion II band scope.

Thanks
Stan AE7UT

Re: KX3 birdie for my other radios

Don Wilhelm-4
Stan,

I am willing to wager that you have set your sidetone pitch to 700 Hz.

That is the KX3 Local Oscillator.  If you are operating the KX3 near
other receivers, turn the RX ISO menu item on to substantially reduce
this leak-through signal.

That is common with all direct to baseband receivers.

On 9/7/2012 6:00 PM, Stan AE7UT wrote:

> Just built and have used my KX3 for a week now.
> Yes I'm loving it and am already thinking of selling my Orion II for a K3.
>
> BUT.... when listening with a couple of other radio I'm hearing a pretty
> strong
> signal being put out by the KX3 700 kz above the KX3 tuned frequency.
> I just aligned the filters and am thinking it must be something I left on
> during
> that.  It only is there with CW.
> It is easily seen on my Orion II band scope.
>
> Thanks
> Stan AE7UT

Re: KX3 birdie for my other radios

Matt Maguire
That's the local oscillator. Turn on the isolation amp in the KX3 to reduce any leakage.

73, Matt VK2ACL

On 08/09/2012, at 8:00 AM, Stan AE7UT <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just built and have used my KX3 for a week now.
> Yes I'm loving it and am already thinking of selling my Orion II for a K3.
>
> BUT.... when listening with a couple of other radio I'm hearing a pretty
> strong
> signal being put out by the KX3 700 kz above the KX3 tuned frequency.
> I just aligned the filters and am thinking it must be something I left on
> during
> that.  It only is there with CW.
> It is easily seen on my Orion II band scope.
>
> Thanks
> Stan AE7UT

Re: KX3 birdie for my other radios

wayne burdick
Stan,

Just set MENU: RX ISO to ON. This turns on the isolation amp, which
should knock down VFO leakage out of the mixer by 70-90 dB.

We don't turn the isolation amp on by default because it adds about 15
mA to receive current drain. (This same stage is also used for the 10-
and 30-dB preamp settings and the attenuator, so if any of these is in
use, RX current goes up by 15 mA.)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Sep 7, 2012, at 3:00 PM, Stan AE7UT wrote:

> Just built and have used my KX3 for a week now.
> Yes I'm loving it and am already thinking of selling my Orion II for
> a K3.
>
> BUT.... when listening with a couple of other radio I'm hearing a
> pretty
> strong
> signal being put out by the KX3 700 kz above the KX3 tuned frequency.
> I just aligned the filters and am thinking it must be something I
> left on
> during
> that.  It only is there with CW.
> It is easily seen on my Orion II band scope.
>
> Thanks
> Stan AE7UT

Re: KX3 birdie for my other radios

Stan AE7UT
Thanks so much guys!

I knew it would be a simple problem to fix... or not if it makes the receive better.

So... anyone want to trade a K3 for an Orion II?
Lots of extra goodies.... come on turn to the Dark Side!

73
Stan AE7UT