KX3 - broadcast band interference ??

yo8sep
A few days ago I've noticed something strange at my KX3.
If was around dusk and I was on 20m band, USB trying to listen for a very low signal station and got something that looks like an AM brodcasting , but not in a language that I can understand.
The strange thing was that was heard even when tuning to different frequencies.
PRE was on, antenna was yagi 3 elements on 20m, at 12m height.

I've made a short video, sorry for the poor quality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX7fr6Iwg-Q

If I changed the RX SHIFT settings to 8KHz, I still could see that signal on panadapter (NAP3) but audio was shifted to 8kHz.

What could cause that problem/interference ?

73,
Petronel
YO8SEP

Re: KX3 - broadcast band interference ??

w0mu
Are you close to any AM broadcast stations?

On 12/21/2016 4:05 AM, yo8sep wrote:

> A few days ago I've noticed something strange at my KX3.
> If was around dusk and I was on 20m band, USB trying to listen for a very
> low signal station and got something that looks like an AM brodcasting , but
> not in a language that I can understand.
> The strange thing was that was heard even when tuning to different
> frequencies.
> PRE was on, antenna was yagi 3 elements on 20m, at 12m height.
>
> I've made a short video, sorry for the poor quality.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX7fr6Iwg-Q
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX7fr6Iwg-Q>
>
> If I changed the RX SHIFT settings to 8KHz, I still could see that signal on
> panadapter (NAP3) but audio was shifted to 8kHz.
>
> What could cause that problem/interference ?
>
> 73,
> Petronel
> YO8SEP

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 - broadcast band interference ??

yo8sep
There is an AM broadcast station at 40miles from me,  but the signal I got was on a foreign language,  maybe somewhere Middle East...
And it was all over the band,  even on upper bands,  15/10. Turning off Pre or turning on RX SHIFT 8KHZ, seems to solve/hide the problem.  But that is not really a solution,  especially when using NAP3 and CW skimmer.

73
Petronel

On 21 Dec 2016 17:50, "w0mu [via Elecraft]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are you close to any AM broadcast stations?

On 12/21/2016 4:05 AM, yo8sep wrote:

> A few days ago I've noticed something strange at my KX3.
> If was around dusk and I was on 20m band, USB trying to listen for a very
> low signal station and got something that looks like an AM brodcasting , but
> not in a language that I can understand.
> The strange thing was that was heard even when tuning to different
> frequencies.
> PRE was on, antenna was yagi 3 elements on 20m, at 12m height.
>
> I've made a short video, sorry for the poor quality.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX7fr6Iwg-Q
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX7fr6Iwg-Q>
>
> If I changed the RX SHIFT settings to 8KHz, I still could see that signal on
> panadapter (NAP3) but audio was shifted to 8kHz.
>
> What could cause that problem/interference ?
>
> 73,
> Petronel
> YO8SEP

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KX3-broadcast-band-interference-tp7624847p7624856.html
To unsubscribe from KX3 - broadcast band interference ??, click here.
NAML