KX3 internal battery pack change

wayne burdick
Administrator
Hi all,

We originally planned to include the KX3's battery holders (8 AA) and
associated hardware with the internal NiMH charger option. The idea
was that anyone who needed the batteries would also want the charger.

However, the KX3 will put out more power from higher-voltage cells
(alkaline, lithium, or PowerGenix nickle-zinc, for example). Some of
our early testers have said that they'd prefer to such batteries
exclusively. So we're going to include the battery holders in the
basic KX3. Those who want to use NiMH cells can either charge them
externally or order the option module. (Note that the RTC -- real-time-
clock -- is also a part of this module.)

In the original scheme, the battery holders were wired to the charger
module. To allow the battery holders to be plugged in independently,
we're adding a separate battery connector to the control panel PCB.

What this means is that if you order the charger module, you'll be
able to simply plug it in. You won't have to remove the RF board and
install the battery holders, which is a bit tedious, because they'll
already be there.

73,
Wayne
N6KR